Friday 19 February 2016

Play: The Patriotic Traitor

Last night was a play called The Patriotic Traitor, at the Park Theatre, which London Dramatic Arts was going to, and so was I.. I was in Guildford, but the timings on Google Maps looked ok and it seemed I wouldn't have much trouble getting there in time - since the group was meeting at 6:45 in the upstairs bar, I decided to get there as early as I could, taking the fastest route.

On the radio, on the way back from work, I heard that it was National Wine Drinking Day! which augured well.. When I parked, I made my way straight to Clapham Junction station, where I caught a train to Victoria pretty quickly. We came in at a different platform to those I'm used to, and it took me a moment to turn myself around.. and they had the grilles at the top of the steps to the Underground part-closed again. Must be an overcrowding thing. Anyhoo, made it in the end, although I had to stand most of the way on the Tube. At Finsbury Park station, the exit I wanted was closed - overcrowding again - but my route around the outside was well signposted. And I knew the theatre should be visible from the end of the road, so was soon able to find it.

They don't require you to pick up a ticket - I'd printed my confirmation, which I knew would be good enough - so when I arrived, I made my way straight upstairs, and after a minute or so located the group. Popped to the loo, where I noticed that the cubicle doors seemed to have been named by patrons.. and the hand dryer didn't work.. Back in the bar, there were no seats left, so I stood, chatting and helping myself to some really excellent warm bread and ham from the platters that someone had ordered, and shared with us all. And, of course, downing the obligatory wine! And I noted the theatre-related books, suspended from the ceiling. Quirky place..

When we went in for the performance, it turned out I was seated two rows behind the others - in the back row of the stalls, but since there are only four rows, that was fine! And the people in front of me didn't arrive till the second half, which meant I had a great view. The play concerns General Pétain, once a good friend of Charles de Gaulle, but who headed the Vichy government while de Gaulle was leader of Free France in exile, so de Gaulle charged him with treason after the war, for collaborating with the Nazis.

The scene was immediately set by the large stage backdrop of a map of France, with relevant cities and geographical features marked out, as well as the Maginot Line and the border marking the limits of Nazi occupation of France. Such props as there were, were cleverly concealed in niches at the bottom of the map, and painted at one side to fit in. With this overpowering map, coupled with dropdown French and Nazi flags, and frequent sounds of gunfire - notably during the part set during the First World War - there was a striking sense of period.

The play is dominated mainly by the characters of de Gaulle and Pétain, played by Laurence Fox and Tom Conti, respectively. Indeed, Conti never leaves the stage for the first half, which concerns his reminiscences as he's in prison, waiting to hear his sentence for treason - a capital offence. And I thought both performances were extremely good - although, as someone else pointed out afterwards, Conti did fumble over a few of his lines.

Someone else mused about how accurate the depicted events were, and the relationships between the characters. Well, none of us were there, but from what I've read, it seems pretty true to life - certainly believable. I'm always fascinated by these windows into history, and this gave me something of an insight into a character I'd never before paid much attention to. If you have an interest in this period in history, this play will definitely not disappoint.. recommended. Runs until 19th March.

At the interval, remembering the crush upstairs beforehand, I stayed where I was, and instead tried to Google the famous-looking guy, sitting at the side. No success, but he definitely looked familiar. In the second half, the elderly chap sitting beside me, who'd been falling asleep during the first half, finally decided to call it quits - which gave me some appreciated space to stretch out, and a bit of ledge at the seat back to rest my arm on - my shoulder's been playing up.

Afterwards, we decamped upstairs again, where we all got seats this time.. someone was hungry, but the restaurant next door was closed, so another generous soul ordered food for us all. And do you know, these were the very first sausages I could bring myself to eat in the UK! First time I didn't find them disgusting - these sausage rolls were lovely. Good food in this place, I think. And we chatted until they threw us out.

The nearby station entrance was open now, and I made my way back to Victoria - where at least, it being nearly midnight, the choice of trains was reduced. The next to depart had already been delayed, with a new predicted departure time of 15 minutes before - and still hadn't left. So there was no way I was trusting it, and I got on the 12.05 instead. Was home by half past, and am working from home today, so didn't have to be up early - but still, it was too late, I was too tired, and it had to wait till today to blog.

Tonight, I've got another cheap ticket to the Circus Show at The Aeronaut - it'll be interesting to see how much the lineup changes from last time! and whether the bus driver lets me off when I press the button.. Tomorrow, I'm back with the London European Club, for Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras, at Sadler's Wells. Sold out now. Part of their Flamenco Festival. Olé! And on Sunday, I'm finally heading to one of those famous free gigs at the Finsbury - there are actually two Meetup groups heading there, I've signed up with both! - specifically, the World Music Meetup and London Gigs and Alternative Events.. 6 currently going to each, I see, but not the same 6, by the look of it..

No comments:

Post a Comment