Monday 1 February 2016

A Night at the Musicals

Well, for Saturday we'd booked to go to A Night at the Musicals, an evening of light musical entertainment at the Limetree, staged by a local college.

And then it rained, and when it rained, it poured. And my mother hates rain with a passion. So we didn't go - just as well the tickets were cheap. Mind you, I was having trouble starting the car anyway - the taxi driver who takes me to the airport usually disconnects the battery while I'm away, but must've forgotten this time; I needed a jump start both when I got back on Friday night, and again next day. So leaving it outside a concert venue for a couple of hours wouldn't have been the safest thing..

She did venture out as far as the Abbey Tavern for dinner. Mindful of possibly needing yet another jump start, I backed into the space, to give access to the front of the car. (It was fine this time, though.) The restaurant section was fairly crowded, but we got a table - unfortunately, beside a really loud person, who was having an animated conversation with a kid at another table - about dessert. One of the servers got really pissed off at him - he does that a lot, it seems. Well, but it didn't really spoil dinner - I had turkey and ham, for a change, which was fine, apart from the scarcity of the ham..

Yesterday was a perfect storm of travel problems, travelling back to London. Our flight was delayed by abt 90 minutes (apparently someone had been ill on the inbound flight - use your imagination!) so I joined the long queue at the only decent eatery past security - the bar. Ordered a burger, which comes with fries, a small amount of salad on the plate, and a bun. That's it - nothing else in the bun, no sauce - apart from a jar of tomato ketchup. You can pay for a small choice of toppings. Good idea actually - how many times have I been served burgers that I have to pick things out of? And the burger was large, and very tasty. It was delivered in no time flat, appropriately for an airport, and I ate within view of one of several departure screens, so I could see when they finally wanted us to board..

This post is late because I needed to do this week's film list. Tonight will be a film - unless I feel like staying in, I had a late night and an early start - uhhh.. Top of the list, as with last week, is a film called Airlift - this week, showing at more manageable times. Based on the true story of the Indian tycoon who paid for Air India to evacuate the entire Indian expat community in Kuwait upon the Iraqi invasion, it looks decent. It's showing in my local - Cineworld Wandsworth - but a bit early, and I probably won't be back in time. It's showing a bit later in the Vue Shepherd's Bush - I'll think about it. At least, with the Vue, there's no advantage to booking, as with Cineworld, so I don't have to decide now.

Tomorrow, I'm back with London for Less Than a Tenner, who are back at the Soho Theatre for a performance of Kite - a show without words, always interesting. Handy I'm working from home - the timing could be tight, otherwise. And on Wednesday, I'm off to see Billy Connolly at the Hammersmith Apollo - got the ticket a while ago, and now it's disappeared behind the chest of drawers. Have to go rescue that, soon..

No comments:

Post a Comment