Monday 1 February 2016

Film: Airlift

So. Tonight was to be a film, and the film was Airlift. It was top (by IMDB ratings) of my list last week too, but not on at a convenient time. Well, this week it was still top. About time I saw it, eh? You know, I'm burning the proverbial candle at both ends these days, but not as tired, now that I'm driving. Even with the stress of fast-moving traffic, and trying to remember routes I've only just learned. Helen pointed out that I don't have to rush to make a timetable - yes, but I also don't have to carry my bag very far, plus I get a comfy seat, rather than having to squash in amongst a crowd in the carriage. Or stand.. Imagine, and with all this extra comfort, even if I didn't have passengers to help with petrol money, I'd still only be paying half what I would for the train!

Anyway. Airlift is a Bollywood film, and I've had some trouble with those before. They also tend to be over-rated. But the trailer for this looked ok, the subject matter was certainly interesting, and I said I'd give it a go. It's showing in Cineworld Wandsworth, but not late enough that I could make it - so the next closest, and showing later, was the Vue Shepherd's Bush. Ages since I'd been there..

So I took myself off on the Overground, quite early as it happened. Well, I wouldn't have had time to eat anyway - with a growling tummy, I picked up a bag of Crunchie Rocks as I was waiting. Ticket in hand, I was to find that the cinema hadn't finished being cleaned yet - nor did the usher have the faintest idea when it would be. I did need to go to the loo, but the lobby ones were closed - so I ate the entire bag of Crunchie, then wandered off past the (now-unattended) entrance, and went to one past there. Where the first cubicle had a toilet with an obviously non-working flush, and the same hand dryer not working that wasn't working the last time I was here!

There weren't many at this screening - but it has been out a week. And it was a Monday. When the trailers started, I was treated to a host of ads for popular films - rare for me, to be honest, and enjoyable - not that all the films looked good, mind. Then we were into the main feature.

This is based on the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1990. In particular, it focuses on the evacuation of about 170, 000 Indians who were working there at the time. The main character, who organises pretty much the whole thing, is apparently an amalgam of a number of real-life characters. And his wife is a dead ringer for Catherine Zeta-Jones..

We get a tantalising glimpse of this tycoon's life in Kuwait before the invasion. The outfits! The houses! The parties! Already an enjoyable film. But just you wait.. the whole tone changes when the invasion crashes down on them. And this description of the largest mass movement of people in history becomes surprisingly moving. Believe me, the airlift itself ain't half the story.. the sheer logistics are staggering, and the desert shots as they convey them to the collection location - are stunning. A very interesting film, and worth a look. Even with an interval, in what is only a 2hr20min film.

And the thought occurred to me, as they desperately tried to escape - God help all refugees. There but for the grace of God go we ALL.

Coming home, I caught a mainline train rather than the Overground - they ply the same route. And blatantly sat in 1st class, with many others - I didn't think they'd check, and indeed they didn't. We arrived at Platform 17 in Clapham Junction - "Mind the Gap" indeed, the gap at this platform is huge! You really have to stretch, just to get off. The only way out was along the overhead walkway, eerily deserted at this hour.

Tomorrow, I'm back with London for Less Than a Tenner, who are back at the Soho Theatre for a performance of Kite - a show without words, always interesting. Handy I'm working from home - the timing could be tight, otherwise. And on Wednesday, I'm off to see Billy Connolly at the Hammersmith Apollo - still haven't rescued that ticket from behind the chest of drawers!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete