Friday 5 February 2016

Film: Room

Film last night, and Room finally made it to the top of my IMDB-rated list. My closest cinema is Cineworld Wandsworth, where the only evening showing currently is at 6:30. Well, I figured I could make 6:30 - or nearly: and this being a film, I didn't have to hit that time exactly. So I booked - cheaper to book in advance with Cineworld. And I'd decided to drive - I pretty much knew the route from home; I could drop my passenger first and drive back to the cinema, which isn't far off my route to Guildford.

Come evening and my passenger found lots of last-minute stuff to occupy him - so we didn't leave quite as early as I'd have liked. When I told him I was trying to make a 6:30 showing, he suggested I drive straight there - he had to get a bus anyway, and could get one from around there instead. I then realised I didn't know the route from this direction! He was on hand, though, to provide directions from his phone..

I dropped him on the first quiet street - the one leading into the car park. I'd researched my route into the car park, at least.. Found the lift, and got myself to the third floor, where the cinema was. I needed to go to the toilet first, and got into the screen by about 6:50. The ads were still showing, and the film itself didn't actually start until 7 - indeed, the couple beside me didn't arrive until shortly after that; I imagine they were waiting until the free parking started (Cineworld validates your ticket from 7pm).

I was a bit apprehensive about seeing this. It's based on a novel, but the story is, sadly, a familiar one from the news - a young girl, kidnapped and imprisoned for years in a tiny space, used as a sex slave, bearing children to her captor, who are then imprisoned with her. Cheery. The girl in this case is played by Brie Larson, her parents are Joan Allen and William H. Macy. And she has a little boy.

You don't need to worry. The writer is fully aware of the depressing nature of the story. That's not the story she tells. She tells the whole thing from the child's view - a more interesting angle, and also a happier one. The child has never known anything else, and for him, this shed they're imprisoned in is his whole universe. They have a tv, and his ma just tells him that the stuff on tv that's different from what he sees every day is made-up. It's not a spoiler to tell you that they escape - eventually - in an exciting sequence, that's nonetheless tense, despite the fact that you know they do succeed.

From then on, the film is a fantastic story of discovery - all the things that await this little boy, that he never before believed existed. It's a journey of wide-eyed wonder. And it's really sweet, and often quite moving. The acting is first class, of course - and Brie Larson has been Oscar-nominated for her part. As has the writer. And the director. And it's up for Best Picture. Mightn't get all - or indeed any - of them, but it's a lovely film. Recommended.

Afterwards, got my parking ticket validated by punching it in the little blue machine to the left side of the concession stands. I had to pay a bit extra for arriving before 7, but although it's advertised as £1.60 per hour, I only had to pay £1.50 - probably because I was there for less than half that. Lovely! - bus fare would've been £3 return.

Blogging takes a while, and although I was home early enough, with an early start today, I still didn't have time last night. Tonight, I've got a cheap ticket to a Circus Show - apparently a regular feature at the Aeronaut. For tomorrow morning, I just scored a free ticket to The Lobster, in Clapham Picturehouse! Courtesy of ShowFilmFirst - it's absolutely ages since I got a free cinema ticket from them. Then I have to leg it, fairly rapidly, over to Richmond - I'm joining the London Dramatic Arts Meetup at the Orange Tree, for a matinee performance of The Rolling Stone. Anyway, apparently there are fast trains from Clapham Junction - I think parking for both of tomorrow's venues would be too complicated for me to drive. Got my own ticket for the play, but the organiser is fine with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment