Friday 25 September 2015

Play: Morgana & Comedy: The Boat Show

Wow, what a week. I was in Stratford yesterday.. well, I'd originally planned to go on a spooky walk in town, but it was promised to rain, and the sky looked ominous.. so instead, I joined the London European Club (in Meetup), who were off to see Morgana, part of the Bunker Trilogy in Stratford Circus.

What an evening to be headed to Stratford. There was a rugby match in the Olympic Stadium, and something in the O2, which is on the way. So I left straight from the office, to give myself the best chance. The District Line was ok, but the Jubilee Line, which serves both the O2 and Stratford, was jammed, and I couldn't squeeze onto the first train. They're frequent at peak hours though - the next was just a minute behind, and there was relatively no-one on it! until we got on, of course. I was one of the first on, and although there wasn't a hope of getting a seat, I did manage to score myself a leaning position against one of the upholstered rests on the walls.

That train was absolutely crammed. It was a relief when we came to the O2 and enough people got off that we could get some fresh air. And we were eventually disgorged at Stratford - now, I've been here before, and knew to take the exit with the weird, modern sculpture outside. So I made my way through the rugby hoards, and that's where I headed - then across the road and to the left. Before long, you come to the square that houses the Theatre Royal, where I've been before - the Stratford Circus Arts Centre turns out to be just on the other side.

I was starving - no time for dinner - and saw, with interest, that they had a café. Collected my ticket, and made for the counter, where I chose between the chocolatey options, and ordered a (good-value) glass of wine. On the way to the counter, I'd noticed someone I thought I recognised, and sure enough, it was one of the organisers of London European Club. So when I'd completed my transaction, I went and introduced myself, and we sat and chatted until a couple more came, then we all sat and chatted until the house was open.

I say "house". Actually, it was rather confusing - we were directed outside again, round the side of the building and in the back door. The path then led to an artificial "bunker", into which we were directed, to take our (unassigned) seats on rather uncomfortable wooden benches - although they were covered with something. We now found ourselves sitting in a reconstruction of a WWI bunker. To aid with the authenticity, smoke of some kind was regularly puffed through the "bunker", which at times made it hard to see. It stopped in time for the performance, though.

The story concerns the Arthurian legend of Morgana le Fey. We meet three British officers - Arthur, Lance(lot), and Gawain - two of whom are reminiscing over their lost love (who turns out to have been the same for them both) and one of whom has fallen for a mysterious local girl, who may yet prove his downfall.

So, we have the traditional idea of the femme fatale, causing trouble.. jealousy between two, and a fatal deception for the third. It's claustrophobic in the "bunker", and the acting is quite close-up; I got a bit worried during the fight scene, being in the front row. Very well acted though, and a Christmassy feel to it, what with them starting with Christmas carols. And they're all excellent singers, by the way. A very interesting show, it runs until 3rd October - 75 minutes, no interval and no re-admittance.

Afterwards, we headed to the Pizza Express across the way, where we fancied drinks, and were told we'd have to have something to eat with them. No problem, and we all ordered something small, and chatted away convivially for another hour - the performance finishes around 9. I was sorry to miss my walk, but glad to get to know this group better.. especially with much of the talk being about things European. Unfortunately, we left at around the same time as the rugby fans. I turned out to be the only one headed back by Tube, and when I fought my way through, I discovered two trains waiting - one on each platform (this is the terminus). Seeing the crowding on the one that was to depart first, I said I'd go for the other, and continued until I got to a part of the train with seats available. Glad of a seat, when the train filled to bursting. And after all that, we were the first to leave anyway!

Mercifully, the train emptied at Waterloo, just before I had to get off. And the rest of the trip was uneventful - but it's such a long journey, all I had time to do was go to bed.

Today proved a busy one, plenty to do at work.. and in the evening, I took myself off to that long awaited Boat Show (comedy on a boat)! You'll recall that I actually had a ticket for this last month, only to discover, at literally the last minute, that it was cancelled. Well, they promised me a free ticket for whenever I wanted, and I chose tonight - and they promised me a free glass of bubbly for my troubles.

So off I went - Google Maps kindly informed me that the boat - the Tattershall Castle - was permanently moored, just to the right of Embankment Station. Making my way out of there, I soon spotted its distinctive chimney - thanks, Streetview! I didn't really know where I was going, but handily, three ladies entered right in front of me, and I just followed them. Down the steeply sloped gangplank we went, and it transpires that you turn to the right, then downstairs and right again, to where there's a sign about queueing. Yes, they had my name on a list, and I was shown to a seat - seating is allocated. I had one on the end of a row, which gave me a bit more space, and let me put my stuff on a nearby ledge. I was also near one of the two fans they use to stir air around what could get to be a stuffy environment.. that was handy.

First up was Jeff Innocent, whom I'd researched on YouTube. I'd thought I'd like him, and I did - an excellent set, by a 60-odd East London geezer, was followed by the first of two intervals. Now, you'll remember I was promised a glass of bubbly.. I hadn't felt like queueing at the bar, but behold and lo, the hostess came looking for me at the interval, glass of bubbly in hand, and chatted to me a bit. And very much appreciated it was, too!

After the interval, there was a spot for a new performer. She was ok, although her delivery could do with some work. And she was followed by the excellent Nish Kumar, and another interval. Headliner of the night was Andrew Maxwell. Now, I've seen him on telly before, and thought I'd give him a shot - well, he was terrific! I had no idea he was so good at working an audience. A brilliant, natural comedian, he had me in tears.

There was a terrific atmosphere, and although there were a couple of rocky moments (literally!), after some of the freely flowing Prosecco, you wouldn't really care if the boat just drifted off to sea. As I was leaving, I noticed that the steeply sloped gangplank was now level - seems the tide had come in. It's a great entertainment venue, and I heartily recommend it..

I am so glad to be able to have a lie-in in the morning, and a fairly relaxed day for once. Tomorrow evening, a few of us are off to Dara O' Briain, in the Hammersmith Apollo - the plan is to eat in Latymer's first.. it's close, and it's good. And on Sunday - weather permitting - I'm off on another walk.. Transportation in London: Meat, Mortality and Mail. With London's Secrets, Tales and Legends.

No comments:

Post a Comment