Saturday 26 September 2015

Comedy: Dara O' Briain

'Twas a long time ago that Helen suggested we go to see Dara O' Briain, who was appearing in the Hammersmith Apollo in September. So we booked three tickets.. but then one of us couldn't go - it clashed with something. And no matter what she did, she couldn't find a taker for her ticket. This past week, I had immense fun trying to flog it - first on StubHub, who didn't explain adequately that, it being close to the date, I needed to send them the ticket before they'd list it. So I tried Viagogo - who had the same tale (explained better), but with seller fees of only 20% those of StubHub. So if I need to sell a ticket in future, I'll go to them in preference. However, for this occasion, I gave up, unwilling to pay postage for a ticket that I had no guarantee would sell.

And on Thursday, there we were discussing it in the office, and someone pops his head up and goes, "You're going to see Dara O' Briain?!" So the upshot was that he took the third ticket, and we arranged to eat beforehand in Latymer's - walking distance from the Apollo, and familiar to them from when the office used to be down that direction. A pub with a Thai restaurant that we all know to be good.

Helen was in town all day, part of which was spent on her fundraising sheep walk. She came to mine when she was finished, and we made our way from there, texting our companion to meet us there, which he did. Closest Tube station to this pub is really Baron's Court, and Google Maps showed the fastest walking route from there to be to head along the main road for a while before turning right. It's at the end of that road. Again, thanks, Streetview! We beat him to it and took a table just inside the door.

It was stiflingly hot inside. We decided on a bottle of wine - I chose, and the moment I saw they had Marlborough, that was sorted. Ah, the memories I have of driving through that region.. and the wine ain't bad either! So by the time our third party arrived, we had a bottle of wine on the table, in an ice bucket. Yep, we know how to organise.. we ordered food (well, got him to, at the bar), which was brought to our table post haste, and were well fed. Which left us plenty of time to saunter to the venue.

We took our seats - nice and close to the stage, but not too close. And observed the several cameras, to be used for recording a dvd. And the slightly harassed-looking woman with the headset, ushering people forward so the front seats wouldn't look empty. Neat way to get an upgrade! I noted several people seated nearby, brandishing Print-at-Home tickets from Tickets Direct. Pays to book early.. I'm not blaming people for buying from resellers, I often do it myself, but they're part of what makes it hard to buy last-minute tickets for shows - buying up tickets to re-sell at a profit - and it's a shame.

So, with all the reshuffling of seats, we were quite late in starting. He doesn't have support on this tour, so when the show did start - with a blaze of lights and a deep-voiced announcement - he was the one who came out onstage. And was soon into his routine of introducing himself to the front row. As usual, caveat emptor - sit in the front row at a comedy show, particularly in the centre, and expect to be picked on. In a hilarious manner, as usual for Dara. You know, I actually saw this show back in October (I think it was), and recognised many of the jokes - but as they say, it's all in the delivery, and really, I laughed so hard it hurt.

I remember him from college, and he was always a terrific debater. Started off in science, and chucked it to go into television, then into stand-up. Which we're all very happy about. His insights are spot-on, his take on things is quite unique, and he has a glint of mischief in his eye. I'm not going to give away his punchlines.. but you know, you can pre-order tonight's dvd on Amazon. :-)

And so home, after a lovely evening - and many thanks to our companion for doing the drinks runs in the venue! Tomorrow, I'm off on a walk entitled Transportation in London: Meat, Mortality and Mail. With the London's Secrets, Tales and Legends Meetup group. Who originally just had one scheduled for the morning, but then arranged another for the afternoon, to which I immediately changed. And given how late it is now, I am so grateful for that..!

No comments:

Post a Comment