Thursday 3 September 2015

Concert: Philharmonia

When a cheap ticket came up for a classical concert tonight at Cadogan Hall.. yes please! quoth I. Nice and close..

So off I wandered this evening. Just four Tube stops, and a couple of minutes' walk from the station at the other end. If only all journeys were this easy! Collected my ticket, and made my way straight upstairs - all levels require a climb (there is a lift if you need it), but I was in the gallery anyway. I've been there before, so the warning sign of there being 62 steps to the gallery didn't phase me!

I can only speculate that the patrons of this venue have great hairdressers. Every time I attend, I'm confronted with unusually glossy, bouncy curls. Anyhoo, I embarked on my climb, and when I arrived at the gallery, discovered that my seat was quite a good one. It was what you might call "restricted view", what with the railing in the way, but still perfectly fine, with a pretty straight-on view.

Well, lover that I am of dramatic music, this was one of the best classical concerts I ever attended! Each piece, punctuated with beautiful melodies, was more dramatic than the last. We started with Sibelius - fast becoming one of my favourite composers. The second piece was a world premiere - a violin concerto composed by the conductor and lead violinist! She was Japanese, and the piece had many Japanese influences. And o my! if I thought the soloist at the Proms had a spectacular outfit, tonight's beat her hands down.. with a gorgeous, mediaeval-inspired dress in red and gold, with a bustle and a skirt slashed as if to reveal an underskirt, of black traced with gold. The night ended with Dvorak, and I felt well entertained.. afterwards, eschewing the overpriced and pretentious eateries of Sloane Square, I returned home, where I had, wisely, stocked the fridge.

Back to Ireland tomorrow, for the weekend. And then the fun begins in earnest.. now, on Monday, the best thing coming up is Angel Comedy. Well, actually the Proms look good, but apart from standing, the cheapest ticket I can find for them (on SeatWave, the official site is sold out) is £64. And they don't look that good. As for the comedy.. sounds good, but I might decide to stay in..

Because, you see, on Tuesday, I'm off to Amsterdam. Because that's where U2 will be on Tuesday, and I'm going to their concert that night. And the next night. I fly back on Thursday, doubtless wanting nothing more than to sleep. On Friday of next week, I'm off to see Much Ado About Nothing, at the Globe. (Now, that is worth dragging myself along to!) Lucky the proposed Tube strike was cancelled though, or it'd have been impossible. Anyway, I was too late to book with the Let's Do London - for less! Meetup group, who are going the same night: but I've arranged to meet them, to go to the pub after. For the show, I got a ticket in the "Gentlemen's Box"..

..and then that Saturday, I'm off to Amsterdam again, for two more U2 concerts (Saturday and Sunday). Now, to those who know me, this shouldn't be a surprise. I friggin' love this band, and Amsterdam is a great city to see them in! And yes, I got a good travel deal (Expedia), and you know, I've been to Amsterdam before, to see them, and seen pretty much enough of the place, so didn't want to stay the whole week. I fly back on Monday 14th, my U2-ing done.. for this month. ;-)

On the 15th, 16th, and 17th, I have Meetups.. For Tuesday 15th, I discovered there's a Hammersmith and Fulham Amnesty group, who that night have a talk entitled Undercover - the True Story of Britain's Secret Police. And I'm going. On Wednesday 16th, I'm (nominally) joining the London European Club, who are off to see John Doyle, at the Irish Centre. And on Thursday 17th, I'm (nominally) back with the Free London Events and Talks group, who are off to the Scoop, where they show free films in September. Weather-dependant. That day, it's Selma, which I haven't seen. And then it's back to Ireland yet again - I go every two weeks..

No comments:

Post a Comment