Tuesday 25 August 2015

Restaurant: Dragon Palace

I had an errand to run on Earl's Court Road this evening after work - not a place I go to that often, although it's not that far from me. Well, I knew there were restaurants there, but not that there were so many! Ultimately, Chinese won the day, and I ate in Dragon Palace, where we have often gone for work lunches - never realised that was so close to where I live, either!

I'm used to heading down to the back room, mostly - seems that this evening, probably not expecting a crowd, they restricted the customers to the front section. Tables for one or two along one wall, tables for three or four along the other, and a larger, round table in the window. I was seated directly opposite the rather spectacular artwork, on the left-hand wall as you enter.

I had rather more than usual - a starter, for once: I thought about prawn crackers, but ultimately went for sizzling chicken satay. For main, I had the spicy shredded beef again, and a glass of wine, for once. Rather unusually for a Chinese, they had a choice of wine by the glass, and a choice of sizes - both rather small by my usual standards, mind.

The satay was lovely - but with five well-packed skewers, a bit too much - I'll go for the prawn crackers in future. Also, I was initially given no side plate, which made eating them a bit uncomfortable, hunched over the steaming plate they'd come on. After I'd finished one, they realised an extra plate might be handy for me, and brought one over. The main course was very satisfying, again - kind of like Chinese fast food, being deep fried. The wine was much appreciated, at the end of a long day. And with my bill, I got a fortune cookie! Ooh, hardly ever seen one of those.. and my fortune said I'd get an expensive gift. Well, that's nice.

Tomorrow, I'm headed to the Guildford office for Sports Day. On Thursday, I've booked a ticket to see the comedian Iliza Schlesinger at the Soho Theatre - she was sold out for yesterday, so I said maybe I'd better. And on Friday, I'm headed to the Boat Show. And those pesky Tube strikes have been suspended! so I can relax about my travel arrangements.. for the time being.

On Saturday, I'm back with the London Dramatic Arts group, for Oresteia at Trafalgar Studios - its West End transfer. (I see it's at the Globe as well - bummer, that'd have been good. And now Let's Do London - for less! is headed there in October, to see that self-same show. We'll see how I feel.) On Sunday, I'm headed to the Scoop, for their double bill of classical plays. Technically, I'm accompanying the Free London Events and Talks group, but with 100 of us going, I doubt I'll be much bothered with actually meeting anyone. Unless I see someone I know.

I'm finishing off the month by going to the Proms, and on the 1st September I'm going to What's It All About? Bacharach, at the Menier Chocolate Factory. And then.. more stuff! Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment