Friday 14 August 2015

Play: Bears in Space

Ah yes, Bears in Space.. honestly, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, had it not been a Let's Do London - for less! Meetup. Not to say that I automatically go to all theirs - but they are always worth considering. So, without a specific reason not to go, I booked.

Just as well I did - not only did all their tickets for last night sell out, so did all Soho Theatre's, I think! A hot and sweaty Tube ride into town - not helped by the influx of people at Knightsbridge - was followed by one of those frustrating walks, crawling through crowds of people outside the station, crawling through crowds standing outside the pubs on Dean Street. It was a relief to get to the theatre at last, and weave my way through the crowds in the ground floor bar (crawling not required). A quick look around, and I spotted the Man with the Baseball Cap, and his wad of tickets. It was too late to be bothered with a drink, so I stood and chatted with other folks from the group for a while, waiting for the house to open.

There was a muffled announcement - not about our show, apparently, but we decided to move anyway and join the queue waiting to go upstairs. I was delighted to see two members of the London Dramatic Arts group there, who I know were there on my recommendation! I hoped they'd enjoy it. Meantime, we joined a cramped queue, and were let upstairs eventually. And, as I remarked to them, if this group has done anything for me, it's gotten me to this theatre a bit early, so I'm not rushing for shows. Lordy, the number of times I've dashed into the theatre panting and they've had to radio upstairs to hold the door while I give myself a coronary clambering up all those stairs..

After a relaxed climb, we arrived at the "Soho Upstairs" theatre on the top floor. Our organiser had advised us to sit in the central section, facing the stage, and this we did, as the house gradually filled up around us. Mind you, you could say the play had already started - certainly, the stage was set, three rather dopey-looking characters standing behind a sterner-looking chap, glaring at people who crossed the stage in front of him. No bears in sight, yet.

Comedy is subjective. Having said that, I would expect anyone booking a show called "Bears in Space" to have what I commonly call a highly developed sense of the ridiculous, which is what was required for this show last night. I won't give away who the four characters in the middle of the stage were, but it was a promising start. And over the next 80 minutes (without interval - the seats weren't quite comfortable enough for that, but never mind), we vaulted from WTF moments to moments of sheer genius. They know what they're doing - this is a professionally silly production.

Seriously - crack up your funny bone, dust off your sense of the ridiculous and take yourself along to this, if you get a chance. Let's Do London - for less! have four tickets left, at time of writing, for the same show on the 22nd. The theatre website is showing availability for tonight, tomorrow, and the 22nd. Recommended.

Afterwards, the theatre bar was still crowded, so our fearless leader popped off to find us somewhere else to congregate. We ultimately ended up around the corner, at The Ship, where we found we'd get served if we stood at the end of the bar, and we few hardcore members still remaining stayed for a drink and a natter. We had a convenient table to the side.. and the chat was good. When you could hear it - the soundtrack was excellent, but the thumping rock rapidly got louder and drove us away. Really, it's hard work screaming at each other all evening.. While we were there though, the man (who'd now dispensed with the Baseball Cap) shared some of his thoughts about the group, and it was obvious to see why these Meetups work so well, with an organiser who has such a passion for them.

Tonight is a film, and Absolutely Anything was at the top of my film list. Mind you, I was dubious of its initial high rating on IMDB. Sure enough, I watched as it plummeted from 8.6 yesterday morning, to 8.2 yesterday evening, to 8 this morning, and finally to 7.3 this evening. Nope, instead I'll be heading to The Man From U.N.C.L.E. My, that brings back memories of the tv series.. stars Henry Cavill (whom I last saw playing Charles Brandon in The Tudors) - in Robert Vaughn's role, I suppose - and the talented Alicia Vikander. Co-written and directed by Guy Ritchie. Handily, the Yplan ticket I bought is good at my local Vue just as well as the one I'd been intending to go to, in Shepherd's Bush - and my local is closer, on this grey and drizzly evening.

Tomorrow, I'm back with Let's Do London - for less! for Pop-Up Opera's Carmen (in English), again at the Soho Theatre. On Sunday, I'm with Walk About London for a walk based on the Magna Carta - weather permitting. On Monday, the organiser of Film Nite informed us that his old drama teacher had written a play - Frank Sent Me - that's performing at the King's Head. Actually, he wrote two, and this chap was at the other last Monday, but I flew back that day and couldn't make that. Some of us are going to this.

On Tuesday, I'm headed to a play set in Sheffield during the Blitz. Operation Crucible is showing in the Finborough, nice and close to me. On Wednesday, I'm with Let's Do London - for less! yet again, when they're off to the Globe to see As You Like It. Next Thursday, I'm off to the Spiegeltent - on my own, for a change - to see House of Burlesque. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and we're headed to the Irish Youth Wind Ensemble, at the University Concert Hall.

The following Monday, I'm finally going to see Memphis: the Musical, at the Shaftesbury Theatre. And the next TWO days, I'm headed to the Guildford office - first for a meeting, then the Sports Day. Coincides nicely with the next Tube strikes..

No comments:

Post a Comment