Friday 14 August 2015

Film: The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Film it was tonight, and one of the more interesting stories of what was chosen. Working from my list of IMDB ratings, the highest was - rather surprisingly, but indisputably, Absolutely Anything (at 8.6), a Simon Pegg comedy in which he's given supernatural powers by the Monty Python crew, and uses them to seduce Kate Beckinsale and make his dog (Robin Williams) talk.

I thought it was too good to be true. Sure enough, the rating fell from 8.6 yesterday morning, to 8.2 yesterday evening, to 8 this morning. By the time it had reached 7.3 this evening, it had been surpassed (it's at 7 at time of writing). Something of a meteoric descent, then. Which left The Man From U.N.C.L.E. The Yplan ticket I'd bought (they have a cheap ticket deal for Vue) was good for any film, and good at my local cinema, which was handier than Shepherd's Bush, where I'd have had to see the other. Especially handy on a grey and drizzly evening.

I got the Tube down there - I could walk home afterwards, but it would've been a trek from the office. Queued for a bit, got my ticket, and arrived in the screen just after the trailers had started. Lots of spy/thriller type trailers - including, oddly, one for the very film we were seeing! I wasn't surprised to hear someone near me ask his companion - this is the one we've come to see, right?

Yes, it was. Co-written and directed by Guy Ritchie, it stars Henry Cavill as Napoleon Solo, the old Robert Vaughn role. Mind you, both he and his co-star, playing Ilya Kuryakin, are much better looking than the original actors. Also stars Alicia Vikander, as watchable as ever, and Hugh Grant. But I can't tell you who their characters are, for fear of giving the plot away.

Oh my goodness, it's very good! Guy Ritchie has set a spy film in the early 60s. And, not that I would wish a return to the Cold War - but it did make for some fantastic thrillers. Sexy, sinister - complicated backstory, great costumes, terrific scenery. Stylish, pacy, sassy. I loved it. Henry Cavill attempting the old Napoleon Solo accent grates at first, but becomes more natural. And Ilya is much less robotic in this than in the original. I do believe I remember one of the scenes from the original series. Oh yes, go see.. and I look forward to the inevitable sequel.

Inspired by the setting of most of the film in Rome, I fancied something Italian for dinner. Specifically, I would've liked chicken in a creamy sauce. Unfortunately, the nearby supermarket was Sainsbury's, and their woeful selection provided neither a decent ready meal, nor any kind of bottled Italian sauce at all! I picked up some garlic bread and chicken kiev..

Tomorrow, I'm back with Let's Do London - for less! for Pop-Up Opera's Carmen (in English), again at the Soho Theatre. On Sunday, I'm with Walk About London for a walk based on the Magna Carta - weather permitting. On Monday, the organiser of Film Nite informed us that his old drama teacher had written a play - Frank Sent Me - that's performing at the King's Head. Actually, he wrote two, and this chap was at the other last Monday, but I flew back that day and couldn't make that. Some of us are going to this.

On Tuesday, I'm headed to a play set in Sheffield during the Blitz. Operation Crucible is showing in the Finborough, nice and close to me. On Wednesday, I'm with Let's Do London - for less! yet again, when they're off to the Globe to see As You Like It. Next Thursday, I'm off to the Spiegeltent - on my own - to see House of Burlesque. Time Out offer. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and we're headed to the Irish Youth Wind Ensemble, at the University Concert Hall.

The following Monday, I'm finally going to see Memphis: the Musical, at the Shaftesbury Theatre. And the next TWO days, I'm headed to the Guildford office - first for a meeting, then the Sports Day. Coincides nicely with the next Tube strikes..

No comments:

Post a Comment