Saturday 15 August 2015

Opera: Carmen

Let's Do London - for less! + opera = unbeatable combination. So I booked it. Mind you, I've been misrepresenting them for the last few days - this wasn't the Pop-Up Opera, which does abbreviated operatic versions in venues that never likely saw an opera before, or even live performance. Although this group has been to those productions before: no, this was Opera Up Close, which is more conventional. Somewhat. They do more standard versions of operas, in English, in somewhat more conventional venues. I believe performers do appear in productions for both companies, though.

So off I went today, to see their production of Carmen, in the Soho Theatre. A typically crowded and sweaty Piccadilly Line saw the usual influx of people at Knightsbridge, and a corresponding outflux at Piccadilly Circus. It was a lovely walk in the sunshine though, round the side of Chinatown, and when a gorgeous whiff caught my attention, I decided I'd have a Chinese afterwards. It's so long since I was in Soho on a sunny weekend afternoon..

We were more organised this time, with two tables booked in the lobby bar. As usual, our leader was behatted - more a flat cap than a baseball cap this time: very fetching, and equally effective. Chatted for a bit, went upstairs when the call came. I was fourth row from the front, which was plenty close.. up-close opera can be an intense experience. But when you compare this with a more usual production - my, it's amazing how much they can do without! Four musicians over the side did as well as a full orchestra, the pianist also acting as the conductor. No milling cast of characters necessary in the background - indeed, there wouldn't have been anywhere for them to mill about in anyway! No fancy costumes required.

The production was edited down a bit, but that didn't detract from it. The smaller cast enabled us to concentrate better on the story. And as I say, the sheer force of someone belting out an aria, practically in your face, has to be experienced. Really, I'll never look at a conventional production the same way again. Interestingly, this company gave the story a slightly different slant; Carmen is usually portrayed as a man-eater, ruthless and heartless, with José the poor, well-intentioned boy led astray. Here, for a change, Carmen is portrayed as just a flirt, a bit out of control and making bad choices: while José, once she stirs him from his obedient journey along the straight and narrow path, turns volatile and abusive. The last scene is actually quite chilling. Very interesting to see this completely different slant on the same story - and very believable. Also interesting how the abusive José got the loudest applause at the end. (To be fair, he was superb!) Runs till the 19th September. Recommended. Probably wise to book - today's matinee was pretty much sold out.

Afterwards, we had booked the same two tables. I got a drink and sat down, somewhat surprised to see some people there whom I didn't recognise from the group. They asked how we knew Antony (the organiser), introducing themselves as Antony's mother and sister. They didn't look much like him. I smelled a rat when they didn't recognise the term "Meetup".. turned out the performer who sang the part of José so well was also called Antony! We put the final pieces together when he finally came downstairs and they erupted in applause. Actually, it was nice, how all the performers came down after and hung out in the bar for a bit. The guys from Bears in Space (also still running) were also over the side (sans bears..)

When we broke up, I headed for New Loon Fung, for another of their delicious chicken in honey and lemon dishes. And it was as gorgeous as I remembered. The pinot grigio here is rosé, but perfectly drinkable. Toilets are upstairs from the main restaurant, where it turns out they have a whole other floor! No lack of space, then.. I shopped in Tesco on the way back, and had such heavy bags that the Tube was a nightmare. Thank goodness for the kind lady who made sure that I got, first a space to lean, then a seat, when they became available. Unfortunately, I just missed my train in Earl's Court, and ended up walking the rest of the way.

Tomorrow, I'm with Walk About London for a walk based on the Magna Carta - weather permitting. If it's like today, it'll be lovely! On Monday, the organiser of Film Nite informed us that his old drama teacher had written a play - Frank Sent Me - that's performing at the King's Head. Some of us are going.

On Tuesday, I'm headed to a play set in Sheffield during the Blitz. Operation Crucible is showing in the Finborough, nice and close to me. On Wednesday, I'm with Let's Do London - for less! yet again, when they're off to the Globe to see As You Like It. Next Thursday, I'm off to the Spiegeltent - on my own - to see House of Burlesque. Time Out offer. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and we're headed to the Irish Youth Wind Ensemble, at the University Concert Hall.

The following Monday, I'm finally going to see Memphis: the Musical, at the Shaftesbury Theatre. And the next two days, I'm headed to the Guildford office - first for a meeting, then the Sports Day. Coincides nicely with the next Tube strikes, assuming the current talks don't help..

No comments:

Post a Comment