Sunday 30 August 2015

Film: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

I'd really have loved to go to the Scoop today. I haven't been in months, and they're showing a double-bill of classical plays, which would nicely have bookended yesterday's trip to Oresteia. (Plus, it's free!) But then someone at work remarked that it was supposed to rain today, and sure enough, the weather forecast says there's a danger of heavy, thundery showers all evening. Haven't seen any yet, but it's been overcast all day. And the Scoop is outdoors..

So, reluctantly, I turned to Plan B - a film. I might have gone to see The Look of Silence, which is top of my film list, but I've already booked to see that on Wednesday. Next up was Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - previewing this week, handily enough the only place it was showing today isn't that far from me: the HMV Curzon, in Wimbledon.

So, after a final sad, quick check of the weather forecast, I hopped on a Tube to Wimbledon. It's a pleasant, leafy journey - at seven stops, not too long. Turn left upon exiting the station and look for the unassuming entrance to the HMV Curzon, on the other side of the road. I've only been once before, and had completely forgotten how to get in, starting by doing a tour of the HMV store on ground level. Actually, the cinema is on the second floor, and the stairs are just to the right of the main entrance.

After something of a climb, I entered a pleasant café-bar area, with a massive photo of Manhattan filling the wall opposite the entrance. The till is on the other side, and I got a ticket and strolled in to the "blue" screen. There were just a handful of people there. Seating is unassigned, but noting that the screen wasn't huge, I sat fairly close to the front. The trailers started soon after, and I noted how muted the sound was for these - never fear, it was higher for the feature. I also noted the trio of films advertised as being on Curzon Home Cinema - cheaper than going to the cinema to see them, these are available online, and I do take note of what's available.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is a teen film, and I normally run screaming from those. However, the trailer looked ok - I was seduced by the scene with the cat - so I said I'd give it a shot. As the name implies, this is told from the perspective of a teenage boy, in his senior year at high school, who hangs out primarily with his best friend, Earl, until his mother orders him to be nice to this girl in their year who's been diagnosed with leukaemia. Molly Shannon stars as her mom.

It's very cleverly written, full of all of those teenagers with improbable personalities, the likes of whom I certainly never noticed in school. And despite someone having a serious illness, thank goodness it's definitely never mawkish. Most of it deals with these mock-ups that he and Earl make of famous films, and they're truly clever. On the whole, it's full of interesting characters and is very pleasant. Didn't actually move me to any emotion until the end, though, when it does, suddenly and unexpectedly, become very moving. So, a good film, but not as good as the IMDB rating suggests, I think.

On the way out, I was sorely tempted by the chocolate fudge cake on sale, but resisted. Shops closed early because it's Sunday, but I do have food in the fridge - got wine at the local shop. On the Tube back, the people next to me were headed to Notting Hill - the carnival is on today and tomorrow. Not my thing - too crowded, too rough.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the Proms.. I've booked to eat at the Albert Hall, since I'll have the time for once, it being a bank holiday! On Tuesday I'm going to What's It All About? Bacharach, at the Menier Chocolate Factory. On Wednesday, as mentioned, I'm off to The Look of Silence, which is finally showing at a time I can manage. The BFI is running it, and I've booked for the early showing that day, which was already mostly sold out. It's ages since I've been there!

For Thursday, I got a cheap ticket to a classical concert at Cadogan Hall - nice and close. Then I'm back to Ireland next weekend..

No comments:

Post a Comment