Tuesday 5 May 2015

Pub Grub: The Abbey Tavern & Teach uí Bhriain

Just back from a long weekend in Ireland. My mother would've loved to go to a show while I was there, but there wasn't anything on locally that would suit, so we confined ourselves to eating out instead, as usual.

The Abbey Tavern is kind of #1 for us in the area - friendly, great buzz, reliably good food. Mind you, beware long weekends - despite consistently terrible weather, it was packed to the gills both nights we were there! Have to hand it to them - they did their best for us, and on both occasions seated us pretty quickly. Indeed, on Saturday night, we were to be very impressed with speed of seating and service; despite not being seated until after 6, we had eaten two courses by 6.40 and were dashing out the door to Mass, ten minutes' drive away. The following night, we relaxed and had dessert too - but were excellently fed on both occasions. (Special mention for the delicious lamb on Sunday.) And the craic was mighty. As they say.

Last night, for variety, we went to Teach uí Bhriain. Much quieter, but then the weekend was winding down. I love their curry - they have a Korma, but also a "chicken curry", which is what I would associate with takeaway curries when I was little - too little to have one, but envious at the gorgeous smell. So I usually have that when I come here - it's hard to get now. Enormous portions, as usual - the people at the table beside us ordered a half portion, and were amazed at how much food they got! And when we ordered two glasses of pinot grigio, we were helpfully told that for €1.50 more, we could have the whole bottle - and take home what we didn't finish. So we decadently did! Pity they don't do quarter bottles here anymore though.. And after three courses, we waddled home, suitably stuffed.

After a horrendous landing in London, in high winds, I'm now safely ensconced at home. Tomorrow, I was supposed to meet the Crick Crack Storytelling Club, a Meetup group I've just joined. They have this evening, something to do with conmen in storytelling. So I joined the group, and signed up for the meeting. And completely forgot I had to buy a ticket!! They're now sold out. So instead, I'll head along again to the not-so-secret Top Secret Comedy Club. I'll just head to the free, starter show with Russell Hicks - that was all I enjoyed the last time, what with an annoying mc and indifferent comics. And tomorrow night's headliner is Imram Yusuf, whom I'm not keen on..

No comments:

Post a Comment