Monday 25 May 2015

Film: The Journey (directed by Lance Nielsen)

Spectacularly highly rated, at the top of my film list, was The Journey - 8.6 on IMDB. Having had a look at the trailer, I deemed that, whatever the film was like, it seemed to be heavily influenced by Greece, which would at least make it a nice travelogue. The only hitch was, it was only on in the Arthouse, Crouch End - which is one of those places that's hard for me to get to. Finally I said, sod it, what are bank holidays for? (And I suppose it's appropriate to do a bit of travelling, for a film with such a title.) So I decided to go, and saw from the seating plan that I needed to book a seat - it was nearly sold out. The website helpfully said that all I needed to do was show staff my confirmation email, either printed out or on my phone.

Then, today, I thought I'd like to wear a particular watch, which needed a battery. Which led to two questions: did I have time to go to Westfield, and how would I get from there to Crouch End? There wasn't any point in returning home - I saw that it would take as long from Westfield as from there.. so I spent an age trying to get my sluggish internet connection to show me directions on Google Maps, and then Streetview. Finally, I determined my route, and off I set (phone fully charged).

They took full advantage of the bank holiday, and there were tons of engineering works - thankfully, none that affected me. As I made my way to the station, they were still celebrating in the local pubs - must've been a helluva win yesterday. Getting to Westfield was the easy part - two stops on the Overground. I found the Watch Surgery - a kiosk in the shopping centre - without much difficulty; they charged me £8 this time though, instead of the £5 they charged before. Inflation? Or the type of watch? I may never know.

Anyway, while I was waiting for them to get done, I strolled in the direction the sign told me to go for Wood Lane station - this was the one I needed to start the next part of my journey from. The exit was easy to find. I strolled back and paid for my watch - when I produced a pile of change to do so, she exclaimed that I'd saved the day! They were completely out of change. I replied that she'd saved my wallet..

After changing watches, I headed in the direction of Wood Lane. It's really easy to find - just follow the signs. Then take the Tube to King's Cross St. Pancras. Two lines run through Wood Lane - either will do, long as you're headed east. And on the journey, I had the pleasure of watching a lady sitting opposite, who had a teeny little black poodle, dressed in a knitted coat. Aww.

Google Maps had suggested several routes onward from King's Cross, but I chose the easiest - a direct bus, no changes. I'm quite familiar with King's Cross, from going to things in the area, so I readily found the bus stop, around the corner in York Way. It's a busy stop - but I didn't have too long to wait for the #91 (they seemed to come at five-minute intervals), and sat upstairs; I'd have a better view of an area I didn't know well, and I knew mine was the last stop anyway.

I was on the bus for about half an hour, and I can't say it was exactly scenic. We passed near no fewer than two prisons - Pentonville and Holloway. Not quite the tourist route. And after about half an hour, we reached the terminus - right across the road from the cinema, as promised on Streetview.

The traffic obligingly stopped for me and an old man crossing the road, and I entered the cinema just as they were yelling that the film would start in five minutes, and would we PLEASE take our seats! There's a bar in the lobby area, which was really crowded. I hurriedly fetched up the email on my phone, and showed it to the guy who'd been yelling. Yep, no problem - except I needed to go to the door on the other side of the bar: left for downstairs, right for upstairs. Through there, take the door on the right (not the one marked "MEN") and take the stairs to the upper level. I found my seat without difficulty - the place isn't huge.

I think there's only one screen, which seems to take up pretty much the entire building. The seating is old and creaky - several seats had cushions on them, probably to save repairing them, and I was quite dubious about the sturdiness of my own! Anyway, we all survived. Despite the glares being thrown at the girl beside me, who was eating a bit noisily, by the elderly woman in front. Oh, here we go again.. I think the three in front were Greek, actually - they were trying to pick places out during the film, you could tell.

It is a very good film indeed. There was a Q+A afterwards, with the writer / director and some of the cast, in which he explained that it was made on a budget of £10k. That doesn't detract in any way from the stunning scenery or the stunning cinematography. To be fair, they did shoot on location - three islands quite near Athens, as he later explained, so they'd be near help if anything broke down. They made sure to take full advantage, though - all beaches, mountains, sunrises and sunsets over the hills, with the harbour at the bottom. People windswept by balmy breezes while standing atop a hill in front of picturesque ruins. I'm now seriously considering retiring here..

The story revolves around three (well, four) men who've lost someone - a wife or girlfriend - and feel that life has lost its meaning. They find a new meaning in Greece. That's the short version. But what makes the film stand out is that it's so raw - I had tears pouring down my face for much of it. You really feel for these guys, and when one of them, who's been obviously depressed and holding it in for the whole film, finally breaks down and wails, all alone on the beach - well, it's heartbreaking. (This character was, apparently, based on the writer/director himself, whose loss of his own girlfriend under identical circumstances was the basis for the film.)

I wasn't initially sure what to make of this, but came away really impressed. It's got a clever twist at the end, and throughout is compelling viewing. I do recommend it, if you get a chance to see it.

Coming home, I got another bus from the next stop along, and while I was waiting, had time to contemplate the rundown area around the cinema. The #41 took me to Turnpike Lane Tube station - well, Google Maps said to get off at the stop before, Wood Green High Street, which I did, encouraged by the fact that the person sitting inside me was getting off there too. They were probably right - it's quite close, and saves you potentially being stopped at the lights as the bus turns at the major junction there. Pedestrians can use the underpass, which is very handy, despite the strong smell of urine. The station itself was very rundown, plaster peeling and generally scruffy - despite, apparently, being a listed building.

After that, it was a long, but direct, trip back on the Piccadilly Line, my ears popping as usual as the driver raced through the out-of-town sections. Hang on to whatever you can at this stage! I was glad to get back to leafy west London. I hadn't seen anywhere to eat on my travels, so when I got back, I headed straight for my local Chinese, Taiwan Village. It so happened that I was lucky to find them open - they're on holiday for a week, starting tomorrow, and trying to get everything ready tonight. So service was even more sluggish than usual.. they had to replace my tablecloth, left me waiting for ages to have my order taken.. I always ask for a knife and fork anyway, which they brought, and had to remind them to bring a spoon for the main course - but I never did get a napkin. Still, I'll forgive them - the food was as delicious as ever. And I hope they have a nice break.

For tomorrow, with nothing that enthused me more, I caved in and agreed to tag along with the Film Nite group to see The Falling. Hope it's not terrible. Funnily enough, on the event page, it's described as "free" - I checked, and yes, you do have to buy a cinema ticket. As someone commented - "So what's free, exactly..?"

No comments:

Post a Comment