Monday 11 May 2015

Concert: Alash

When I checked Meetup for tonight, and saw that the World Music Meetup had an evening planned listening to Siberian throat singing, I was intrigued. I checked out the band in question - Alash - and after listening to a song on their website, thought - yes, I could go for this! So I booked.

Not that you have to pay - this was another free concert at the Brunei Gallery. I basically knew how to get there - it's not that long since I was there before - but it's just as well I checked, because I had the impression I got off at Holborn, whereas it's actually Russell Square, the next stop along. Another vexing day at work saw me leave straight from the office again, and all I had time to eat was a small packet of chocolate M&Ms, on the Tube. At least I got a seat after two stops.

Upon exiting, turn left, straight ahead until you reach the other side of the square, turn right, next left, and up the stairs on your left. Easy. And in the lobby, I momentarily forgot I had to go through another set of doors, on the left. After that, down to the basement for the concert venue. We'd been told on the Meetup page that doors open at 6.30, and first come, first served - for a 6.45 start. Yeah, right! I remembered the last time, when the doors opened late and were left open all night, with people arriving the whole time.

On this occasion, the doors were indeed open when I arrived. I have no idea why the lady on the door bothers handing out tickets, but she gave me one. There was no indication, as with last time, who was in our group and who wasn't, so I just took a seat. Oh, and people didn't start to arrive in any numbers until 6.50 - the concert wasn't until 7. In the meantime, a guy in the front row took photos of the instruments on stage, using a professional-looking camera.

At about 7, the lights were dimmed and the band came on, dressed in gorgeous traditional Chinese costumes. Mind you, when the one with the best English spoke, he seemed to have a Russian accent, although they all looked kind of Chinese. Later in the concert, their manager came on, introducing himself as being from Milwaukee, but he's apparently been living in their land for 12 years. And their land is called Tuva. It's apparently a state in the Russian Federation, just north of Mongolia.

I was expecting this to be interesting. I was not expecting it to be this good. It's fantastic! Their throaty singing is otherworldly, surreal. Accompanied by a large drum, it's quite hypnotic. Standing ovation absolutely deserved. I'm now dying to buy some of their stuff - it was chaotic outside afterwards, when they were selling cds. Reluctant to buy from the States, though, with the different formatting. Something to think about..

On the way home, I got a message that was posted to the event page - someone saying what they were wearing and where they were sitting. Excellent idea - I might do that myself next time, if I have trouble finding them!

Tomorrow, Meetup is all about films. Why is it, though, that they tend to miss the best ones? Me, I'm taking myself off to see The Beat Beneath My Feet, about a teenage boy who discovers that the reclusive next door neighbour is actually a rock god, supposed to be dead. He agrees to keep his secret in return for guitar lessons. Showing for one night only in Clapham Picturehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment