Thursday 28 May 2015

Fairytales for Grown Ups: The Liberty Tree

Originally, I wanted to go to a piano recital last night - but it turned out there were only £50 tickets left. It did eventually sell out, but I wasn't sufficiently enthused to pay that much. Instead, I booked with the Crick Crack Storytelling Club (via Meetup) to go to Fairytales for Grown Ups: The Liberty Tree. Certainly cheaper.

I was slightly perturbed that I had to go all the way to Camden. Nothing against the place, it's just a bit of a trek. I decided to go by Overground, which is cheaper than a Tube through Zone 1 - I could also get a direct Overground train there. I decided to go early enough to eat - the show started at 7:30, but the kitchen is open from 6. Unfortunately, this meant I was travelling at rush hour.. at least I (just about) had space to breathe, and just past the halfway point of my journey, I must've sighed sufficiently tiredly, because someone gave me his seat.

It was a relief to get off at Camden Road and breathe (relatively) fresh air. Upon exiting the station, turn right and continue to the major junction, which is also where Camden Town Underground station is. Then take Camden High Street south (careful here, there are a lot to choose from - Streetview is your friend), and a right turn onto Delancey Street. The Forge is unmissable - it's the black building on your left with a sign above it, displaying a prominent "f".

Ah well now, I was immediately impressed. Inside, it's quite modern, a lot of wood and natural light at the back, with a transparent ceiling. The bar is on the left - the tables just inside the door were reserved (it's a small venue and this might be a good idea) but I got a spot on a sofa in the rear, under the natural light. I ordered quickly - I'd already checked out the menu online (the warning about well done burgers caught my attention!). I got my glass of wine straight away, and paid in advance - I'd also been warned to order quickly, so I'd be finished in time for the show.

I settled myself on the sofa, but had to move briefly for them to slide the partition into place - it turns out I was seated in the ticketing area; the entrance to the venue is just at the side. I soon got my (very tasty) chicken burger (which comes well done by default), and was able to watch them set up the ticket desk while I ate. And so I learned that they already had everyone's names on a list - we didn't need to print our tickets - and that once they ascertained we had a ticket, we'd get a stamp on our hands as well. Stickier ink than the last one I got - the trace is still there after washing.

When we were finally let in, I was impressed again - the venue is quite small, all wood, with a stage, a gallery, and rows of chairs (not all gigs are seated). I took a seat near the front, making sure to shove in all the way to the wall - I suspected it'd be quite full, and indeed we were shortly told that it had sold out. I found myself beside a very friendly woman - there were a few Meetup people there, but I don't think she was one.

The guy that introduces all the club's events took the stage and went through his normal routine: "Crick!" "Crack!" "E-crick!" "E-crack!" "Honour!" "Respect!" Nicely, he gave a bit of an explanation of what he was doing this time - seems someone had been asking. And he introduced our (two, this time) storytellers for the evening, who came accompanied by an array of musical instruments.

Their brief was to tell us stories about, and inspired by, Robin Hood. But my, they did so much more! They interwove the old Robin Hood stories with tales of more recent dissidents, all energetically brought to life, and compared with the man in Lincoln green. And all punctuated with music- drum, tin whistle, recorder, and a metal bowl that was used most eerily to describe a mystical scene. It was a very special evening, and I'm so glad I came. We were transported to another plane.. I bought the cd on the way out. I hope it conveys something of this performance.

I don't expect to enjoy tonight quite as much, although it should be interesting - the London European Club is rounding us up for a talk on the Crisis in the Mediterranean - about the migrants crossing the sea in dangerous conditions, seeking to make their lives in Europe. It's on in the Frontline Club, a place I've often threatened to go to, but never yet have. Apparently, they often have discussions on current affairs. A short walk from Paddington, it's a lot closer than last night, thank goodness! And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.. heading to a performance of Rigoletto on Saturday, at the Limetree.

No comments:

Post a Comment