Wednesday 13 May 2015

Film: The Beat Beneath My Feet

Meetup yesterday was film-centric. But they never do coincide with the films I want to see. Mind you, part of it is that they try to view them as centrally as possible - I remember when one film group changed the film it was going to see, because it was no longer showing in central London. Anyway, so they did their thing, and I went to see The Beat Beneath My Feet, showing in the Picturehouse Clapham, as part of their Discover Tuesdays program, where they try to show something a bit different.

Now, the last time I was here, Google Maps sent me by Overground to Clapham Junction, then a bus. This time, they suggested that I take another Overground from Clapham Junction, alighting at Clapham High Street, from where it would be a 10-minute walk. Well, that sounded reasonable - the Overground in that direction departs from further along the same platform, so a short walk between them, and overall it would work out cheaper for me. So that's what I did.

It was beautifully sunny when I set off. I got something of an impression that the driver of our train to Clapham Junction didn't like us - with a short train, he stopped further up the platform than where most of the people were standing, then tried to close the doors while crowds of us were still trying to board. We then crawled along the tracks, before coming to a dead stop - apparently because of congestion.

Now, I do have to wonder whether Google Maps always has the correct timetables - I was on the 7:58 - the train before the one that I needed, to connect to the second train in time to make the film. But when we eventually got to Clapham Junction, looking at the schedule, had I missed the train that was about to depart for Clapham High Street and points further, I'd have been late! It also occurred to me what a short journey this should be, overall - two stops to Clapham Junction and two stops further: I should be there in 20 minutes! It's the changing in Clapham Junction that delays it.. Anyway, on my journey I was distracted by the woman beside me, who was apparently trying to read a document on her phone - but the screen kept turning off, and it kept nearly slipping from her hand.. because she kept dropping off! Honestly people, accept it and have a nap!

When I got to Clapham High Street, I turned left to get to the High Street itself, then took a right and kept walking until I got to the Londis (thanks, Streetview!). Google Maps had said it'd take 10 minutes, but I'm not a fast walker at all and I did it in 5. Turn right there, and the Picturehouse is on the left. I bought a ticket. The door to my screen wasn't open yet, but I followed a couple of women who were also headed in there, who the usher said could take a seat. She handed us all information leaflets about the film, too. Good service, for a not-central cinema! The only other place I've seen that is the BFI.

The seats here are comfy, and I settled back and kicked off my shoes. Although the screen did fill up somewhat after a while, there was no-one right beside me, so I had plenty of room to stretch out. Watched some trailers, including one for a new Sherlock Homes film, with Sir Ian McKellan and Laura Linney. And then we were into the feature.

The Beat Beneath My Feet is a coming-of-age film, where a terminally shy teenage boy - with a secret love of rock music, secret because his mother hates it - discovers that the new next-door neighbour (Luke Perry from Beverly Hills 90210), who always plays really loud rock all through the night, but is hardly ever seen outdoors - is actually a world-famous rock guitarist, generally thought to be dead. So our hero, who secretly plays the guitar himself, does a deal whereby he agrees to keep his neighbour's secret, in return for secret guitar lessons.

I normally hate coming-of-age films. It occurred to me, watching this, that that's generally because the teenagers are so annoying. Not in this though - our really shy teenager is quite cool, actually. Plays a guitar that he keeps hidden in an air vent, and although he's frustratingly schtum around people that make him nervous - which is most of them - he has a decent sense of humour, and it turns out he has a real talent for guitar, and for songwriting. And so a beautiful partnership is born! The film music is original, and catchy - indeed, the woman nearest me was humming it all the way out. Luke Perry is very watchable. Highly recommended, for all you secret rockers out there! Catch it if you can.

I knew the last train I could get from Clapham High Street was at 11:10 - I made the station at about 10:45, so figured there'd be another train at about 10:55. There was - but it went somewhere else. So I had to wait in the cold for 25 minutes (it's this kind of thing that makes travelling by Overground so time-consuming!). At least my train home was pulling in as I arrived on the platform, and after a 10-minute wait for departure, I finally got home at about 11:40.

Finally, I decided to start this blog. With a sentence about Meetup. So I opened the site, to get the link. And I discovered something odd.. When you log in to Meetup, your next booked Meetup is displayed prominently on the welcome page. Good idea. Except this was coming up as next Monday's. Huh? I had one booked for tonight - a talk on Ghostly Manifestations on London, with the Seriously Strange group. I checked today's listings - not listed. I checked the group page - not listed. Finally, I checked my notifications - cancelled.

Where's the general email to people that booked?! Where's the explanation?! I joined the organising group - ASSAP - specifically for this meeting, but at least that membership is good for a year, and I'll probably go to something later. (£5 per event, or £5 for a year's membership, with all events free. No-brainer.) I see the event page is crammed with irate and confused messages today - no response from the organiser, predictably. I've complained directly to the person listed as the organiser, but she isn't the organiser anymore and knows as little as anyone else. Confusingly, the event is still listed on the ASSAP website.

Anyhoo, that was the end of the blog last night, as I had to come up with a Plan B. Film was the backup plan again, but I discovered that most of the top films left on my list aren't showing today. Finally, I was left with three, rated at 7.4 on IMDB. One was Heaven Adores you, a documentary about a musician I hadn't heard of, and it didn't look interesting to me. That left me with Anti-Social and The Age of Adaline. Anti-Social looked more interesting - it's based on a real-life spate of jewellery heists, where the thieves were disguised in burqas. Unfortunately, most of the cinemas showing it have decided, in their wisdom, to show it only at around 11pm! With work tomorrow, that's a non-runner. The only one showing it at a reasonable time is in - Barking. Which takes over an hour to get to - Tube to practically the end of the line, then a bus. Hmm.

Realistically, that leaves The Age of Adaline, about a young woman involved in a freak accident, who then never ages. She knows that her loved ones will die, so lives a solitary existence - until she falls in love. Has Harrison Ford in it, presumably as someone who knows her in her youth and is astonished to see her again, looking just the same, in his old age. Also stars Ellen Burstyn, as a character who is portrayed at three different ages through the film.

Anyhoo, it's at my local Vue, and a lovely evening for a stroll down there. Now, Helen sent me a link just yesterday to a listings site I hadn't heard of - Londonist. And there, I found a link to Yplan, which had a deal on Vue cinema tickets. Lovely! So I bought a cheap one for tonight. ..and then I wondered how on earth to use it! They talked about using the app, but it's not compatible with my phone. There was no barcode, no reference number - what was I to do?!

Not having a good day, eh? So I went for lunch - and when I came back, there was a confirmation email (finally - over an hour after I booked it!). And when I checked, now there was a reference number, and a QR code. Both of which I've printed out. So we'll see how that goes! Great service, if it works..

For tomorrow, the Meetup group All Things Baroque is off to Tintinnabuli. Sounded interesting, but I'm not a member, so couldn't get any details. I'm not a member because you have to fill out an information sheet about things Baroque, and I don't really know enough about it! I just like it. So I Googled it, and discovered it's a concert by the Tallis Scholars, in Cadogan Hall, not far away. Lovely - I booked one of the few remaining tickets.

I'm back in Ireland for the weekend, and heading to see the comedian Pat Shortt perform in Glór on Saturday.

As I say, I have another Meetup booked for Monday - with the Crick Crack Storytelling Club again! This time, it's in the Soho Theatre, so might be a bit more conventional.

On Tuesday, I'm back with the Film Nite Meetup group, who are having a discussion about the film Gone Girl. I love that film, and am looking forward to the talk. It's in Soho House again - I should find it more easily this time!

Finally, on Wednesday, I'm attending my first meeting with the London European club, who are having a talk about Ireland, of all things! They want some Irish people there, to fact-check. Well, I qualify..!

No comments:

Post a Comment