Thursday 17 July 2014

Musical: Forbidden Broadway

Well, I was looking for something to do yesterday evening and came across Forbidden Broadway, showing at the Menier Chocolate Factory. It's a satire of everything currently showing on Broadway (and the West End), and I do believe I've seen it before, but it would be years ago - and they've since included new shows, like Once and The Book of Mormon. The kind of show you can always keep fresh, in fact. And when I checked, they had exactly one ticket left.. and the website wouldn't let me change my billing address. I had to ring the box office to do it for me. But at least I was spared having to decide whether to include a voluntary donation..

Now, I had a minor internal groan at the thought of going to the Menier Chocolate Factory. Nothing against the venue - it's just so far away from me and takes so long to get to! And I had to try to grab something to eat beforehand. Well, Google Maps said I could leave at 7.15 and make it with 10 minutes to spare - mercifully, showing time is 8. I bolted my microwave meal and left at 7.15. Raced to the station, and was just in time to see my train pulling out. So much, as usual, for Google Map's walking estimates! The next train headed to town wasn't due for 10 minutes, so I grabbed the next train heading to Earl's Court and changed there for a train into town, just across platform. And then we sat there for several minutes. And when we moved, we must needs stop again, between stations, and wait again there. Oh, but the District Line drives me mad.. Anyway, we eventually made it to Westminster, where I changed for the Jubilee Line. I just missed a train, but this being the Jubilee Line, there was another due in 1 minute, and it wasn't long before I was in London Bridge.

Now, whatever it is about London Bridge Station, I can find my way to the Jubilee Line from any entrance, but when I'm exiting, I only ever see two options, neither of which was most convenient. Never mind - knowing that the Tooley Street exit was the furthest from where I wanted, I took the Duke Street Hill one instead. The walk isn't too long, but given that it was now 7.51, I could have done without the extra. I had checked it on Streetview, and found the place without problem. Went in the door, and explained to the slightly alarmed-looking person there that I had a ticket for the show. (It was about start time by now.) "Has it started yet?" she called to the person at the box office door. It hadn't. I dashed over there, she checked my name against the two tickets she was holding. Yes, one was mine. She led me through and directed me where to go. I barely had time to draw breath before the show started - good job I had forgotten my phone, so didn't have the bother of turning it off. Seating here is on benches, and reasonably comfortable - although back support isn't great, and mine was a bit stiff by the end. There are no upper levels, support columns, or curvature of the auditorium, so the view is fine from everywhere.

Props are minimal. There's a baby grand piano at the side, a sign over it with the name of the show. And glittering curtains fringe the stage. The show consists of four singers - two hes, two shes - and a pianist. And, with numerous costume changes, they recreate lots of the major shows currently running. The singing is top-notch - I recognise one or two of the performers from other things I've seen around town, but I can never remember their names.

Off the top of my head - they do Matilda, The Lion King, Wicked, The Book of Mormon, Miss Saigon (complete with tiny helicopter, suspended on a wire). They have a skit of Once, complete with a hilarious mocuk-up piano. The guy beside me was complaining to his companion that they hadn't done Jersey Boys, but they did in the second act. The most hilarious for me, and I think the audience in general, was their take on Les Mis. Worth the price of admission all on its own.. The thing I think you most take from it though is a desire to see the shows themselves, as the skits are sung to the showtunes. I was singing away to myself on the way home. Recommended, therefore, for anyone with a love of big-scale musicals. Runs until 16th August.

Nabeel has just been kind enough to send around a map with directions to Hard Facade's gig tonight in Surya. Tomorrow, I get to explore the environs of Heathrow Terminal 2 for the first time, as I fly back to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment