Thursday 17 July 2014

Concert: Hard Facade

Hard Façade abandoned the studio for tonight, to play a gig at Suraya, in King's Cross. Hey-ho, those of us who could dragged ourselves across town. First on, too.. I worked late and left straight from the office. A Piccadilly Line train took me straight there, then it was a not-too-long walk up Pentonville Road, till I came across it on the left. I had bought my ticket online - cheaper - and completely forgot about it until the guy at the door gently reminded me. Anyway, my name was on the list (didn't I feel rock n roll!) and, after a stamp on my arm, I was in. And, contrary to appearances, they do serve wine!

I hardly had my drink in hand when we were told the band would be on in one minute! The concert venue is downstairs - a screen at the top of the stairs shows what's happening on stage to the bar patrons. Just as well - the downstairs area is tiny. As is the stage.

Hard Façade did look a bit cramped up there. Indeed, I really thought Nabeel was in danger of falling off at one point - and the space barely gave them room to move, much less express themselves. However, it didn't prevent them from expressing themselves through their music - and we all agreed, this was a great performance. Musically, if not physically. I really think they've improved - the songs are coming through more now. And the quality of the first few songs, in particular, blew me away. I wonder whether it's the studio time that's helping. Anyway, I can begin to see myself buying this stuff. Best I heard all evening - although I did leave after the third band. Just a pity the set wasn't longer.

A quick word of praise for the second band, Southway. I don't see myself going out and buying their stuff, but you gotta admire their mad energy! Catchy, entertaining. And when she runs through the crowd with a tambourine, you can't help but get involved..

Well, I'm off to Ireland tomorrow, via Heathrow Terminal 2 for the first time. On Monday, I've booked for Invincible, at the St. James Theatre. Unusually, it's transferred from the Orange Tree theatre in Richmond, where it proved very popular. Equally unusually for the St. James, with its snug legroom, I'm not sitting on an aisle. However, I am in the front row, and hopefully the stage is at the same level and I can stretch my legs..

No comments:

Post a Comment