Sunday 20 July 2014

Heathrow Terminal 2

Just back from Ireland - much later than usual. Before I head to bed, let me add a quick note about Heathrow Terminal 2, which I used this weekend for the first time.

Aer Lingus changed to Terminal 2 during the period since I last flew to Ireland, so this weekend was the first chance I had to experience it. I thought I was going to miss my flight on Friday, actually - left work a bit later than I'd have liked, then it turned out there were signal problems at Acton Town, en route to the airport, which meant delays and extra stops. And incessant apologies from the driver. Combined with a sweltering day, this was not a fun journey - at least things got back to normal after Acton Town.

The same Tube stop serves Terminals 1, 2, and 3, so the first thing I had to do differently was turn the other way when I exited the Tube - I previously used Terminal 1. The passageway to Terminals 2 & 3 is nice and modern-looking.. lots of escalators. I emerged at ground level, which was exposed to the elements, to see a bright and breezy terminal building, mostly made of glass. It does occur to me that it was nice this weekend, but that could be a damned cold approach in winter!

Arrivals are up another level, Departures another level from that. So I had plenty of time to scrutinise the building as I ascended. It then occurred to me what it reminded me of - it's the spit of Terminal 4 at Barajas. (My mother remarked that people are also saying it's identical to Terminal 2 at Dublin airport - I guess that's the standard for airport design currently.) The glass walls were handy, as I was able to see Aer Lingus check-in as I was still outside, so knew exactly where to go. Not that it should be too hard - there are only four check-in areas here.

No queues, so a very pleasant experience going through security! Smiley staff, too. Mind you, as the lady in the (upstairs) duty-free shop remarked, wait until more than four airlines are using this terminal.. as I replied, I'll enjoy the quiet while it lasts! She also pointed out how there's a nice view of the runways.

Shopping extends over two floors - more expansive than Terminal 1. Even in the main part of Terminal 1, there wasn't this much space - and if you were going to Ireland, you were shunted into a side-section anyway, where there was a small WH Smith and a Wetherspoon's. Nothing on this scale! (I guess they'll have to take down that "Emerald Gateway" sign now..!) Anyway, I had plenty of time to explore - delays earlier in the day had the proverbial "knock-on effect" and my flight was delayed by an hour.

They were giving out money-off vouchers at the entrance, although you have to buy a considerable amount to be able to use them - so I didn't. Upstairs, where you enter, is mostly eating and drinking - there is, as I say, a small duty-free, but there's a much larger one downstairs. Along with several expensive brand-name shops, and the obligatory WH Smith. Where I bought a bottle of water. I headed for the self-scanning tills, but I think they need a bit of work - you need to scan your boarding pass, but no matter what I did, I couldn't, and someone else was having the same problem.

Kudos to whoever designed the seating - it's fantastic. You realise, the moment you sink into it, that it's ergonomic. Toilets are spacious - plenty of room for cases. Integrated, individual dryers above the sinks - I like that. Ultimately, my flight was called, and I trudged along to the gate. And trudged, and trudged. Although the walking distances probably are shorter, as claimed, they haven't done away with them entirely! And, sadly, our gate was one without a nice view of the runway. Annoyingly, when they announced the start of boarding (finally), they apologised for the "slight" delay. Huh?! As I muttered, I'd like to see the dictionary that describes that delay as "short". Equally annoyingly, the second level of security, between the metal detectors and the gate - the one where they compare your photo to the one that was taken when you entered security - is now right at the gate, where it just slows down boarding. Grrr - very bad idea. All-in-all, though, a pleasant boarding experience.

Returning, our flight was delayed again, by over an hour this time - weather, apparently. Well, we eventually landed, and de-planed. To find ourselves at the end of a queue before we were even off the jetway! Well, we eventually saw that this was due to congestion in the area just off the jetway. A flight attendant called to us to please vacate the jetway, as they had to close the doors. We did our best.. finally, she made her way through the corridors to see what the problem was. Ten minutes, we were standing there! As we waited, I watched two mothers with small babies wait at the "buggy collection point" in the corner to the side. No buggies, of course. One of them ultimately went back onto the plane to see what the story was. And then we were off, finally. Through lots of corridors. Again, I guess walking distances are probably less, but they're not insignificant. I did like that there's duty-free here as you land - they don't have that in Terminal 1. Signs outside direct you to lifts to get to the Tube, ignoring the escalators.

Nice terminal. Just don't expect not to have to walk. And I'm a bit dubious about the arrivals procedure - although maybe it had something to do with us arriving late.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Invincible, at the St. James. Front row, for the sake of a cheap ticket - hope the legroom's ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment