Wednesday 2 July 2014

Film: La Jaula de Oro (The Golden Dream)

I didn't go out on Monday - had to run to the post office for the parcel they've been holding for me for over two weeks. I'd been waiting until I was next at my local cinema, which is down that way, but that only happened on Sunday - when, of course, the post office is closed - so I decided I'd better get onto it, and went on Monday evening. Which meant that going to La Jaula de Oro (The Golden Dream) was postponed until last night.

It was beautiful yesterday evening, so it was lucky that the film wasn't on until 8.55. I headed to the cemetery first and passed a pleasant while in the sunshine, reading the free book I'd been sent (and collected the day before) as part of my U2 fan club subscription. Saw someone walking a small fluffy dog right past the "No Dogs" sign. :-)

Now, it was interesting getting to this cinema. The Curzon Victoria is new - I hadn't been there before, and Google Maps has never heard of it. Nor is it on Streetview, which just shows a large construction site - they've massively redeveloped all this area. So I was obliged to go by the address on the cinema website (58 Victoria Street). It turns out to be about equidistant from Victora and St. James's Park Tube stations. Google Maps wanted me to go to St. James's Park and walk down back streets - I figured it would be easier, and about as quick, to get off at the previous stop - Victoria - and walk straight down Victoria Street. And that's what I did.

That, in itself, was made a bit tricky by the ongoing construction works. I knew the cinema was to be on the other side of the road, so I crossed over, weaving my way between construction barriers. And promptly had to cross back, and cross over again further down, because the pavement on the other side was blocked by yet more construction works! They have finished a substantial amount, however, and I found myself walking down a canyon of glass and chrome, all shiny new shops. I haven't been down this side of the station in years, and it was quite a revalation to me. And then.. there was a sign for Westminster Cathedral (to the right). You wot? Yes indeed, there it was - sandwiched in between a couple of tower-block shopping units. O dear, talk about insensitive developments - I don't like the way that's been done at all! Typical, as they say, of this mayor's lack of concern over building regulations (build 'em fast & build 'em high).

Anyway, I duly came to the cinema, quite discreetly tucked into one of the developments. It has the name over the door, it has a screen showing film clips. Still, I think you might miss it if you weren't specifically looking for it! Might be easier to see from the other side of the road. I rather dubiously walked in - I say dubiously, because apart from that screen, it doesn't look like a cinema at all, more like a swanky bar. I felt rather underdressed. Well, I approached the bar and asked for a cinema ticket. :-) No problem (except for the £14.50 regular adult peak price, which I guess is necessary to pay for the swish decor). She produced a laminated seat plan to ask where I'd like to sit, told me it was downstairs.

So down the glass staircase I ventured, now feeling distinctly underdressed. Into an even swisher bar - all black walls, a huge screen on the wall showing film clips. Glass cases to the side housed banks of cd / dvd players. The staff were quite attentive - one immediately appeared and asked me what screen I wanted. But it wasn't hard to find - Screens 3, 4, 5 are straight ahead as you come down the stairs. For Screens 1 & 2, you have to double back. I proceeded to my screen, admired the decor in there too. Understated red and black, quite a small space. The seats are lovely and comfortable, non-tipping. Oh yes, very nice indeed.

Well, I was here to see a film. For once, the trailers before it were for films I might actually like to see. And o my, what a little gem this is. It's the story of three Guatemalan teenagers heading for Los Angeles, subsequently joined by an Indian who doesn't speak Spanish, meaning that what dialogue there is is somewhat curtailed, particularly near the end of the film. Now, I like that - films that use that device generally keep your attention in other ways.

It's a long and dangerous trip from Guatelama to the States. Not only do they have to worry about US immigration - they have to get into Mexico first. The film title in Spanish means "The Golden Cage", which should give you a hint that all does not go well - and indeed, this film pulls no punches. Although it's not too graphic, you wouldn't believe everything that happens to these poor kids. Quite apart from the difficulties of travelling all that way with no money, and no travel permits of any kind, they encounter bandits, corrupt local police, army, and US immigration guards, all out to do them no good. And it's a moot point which are worse. Some events in the film are a real wake-up call - actually, pretty much everything is.

It's harrowing, but it's such a memorable film. The (obviously inexperienced) actors were given outline scripts and just let do their thing, and it works tremendously. As one reviewer remarked, these are characters we really care about. And the visuals are absolutely stunning. The scenery is breathtaking, and as mentioned above, when the dialogue peters out, the visuals just take over, with mesmerising shots of the trains they're riding on, use of light, images telling a thousand words. As the film ends, we see the "golden cage" of the Spanish title.

I can't recommend this highly enough. It's one of those films that will stay with you for a long time. It's been a long time since I sat in a cinema and didn't want to leave once the end credits rolled.

For tonight's film: well, I've given up entirely on Chef. It's still highly rated, and should be next on my list - but, you know what happened? I simply saw the trailer too many times! I got sick of it, and started to think this wasn't my thing. I was bolstered in my opinion by a review in the Evening Standard, which described it as a vanity project - a fair enough description, given that the same man directed, wrote, and stars in it. The same review described it as the male equivalent of a chick-flick whose star solves all her emotional problems by opening a cupcake shop. Except here, it's a greasy spoon. Well said. Instead, there is a cluster of films around 7.2.. but just checking them now, I see that one has pulled ahead - Venus in Fur, a new Polanski film, is showing tonight only in the Lexi. It'll mean a trek straight from work, but sounds like it might be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment