Tuesday 20 May 2014

Play: The Testament of Mary

I think I've done my duty by the cinema for the moment, eh? So I was delighted, tonight, to get a fairly good seat to The Testament of Mary, playing in the Barbican. The cheapest ticket price in the house would buy you a seat front and centre.. of the gallery (the top level). Which is fine, this is a decent theatre.

Of course, it's a trek to get there from where I am. I rocked up to West Brompton station, intending to get a Tube to Edgeware Road and change there to any eastbound train - they all go through Barbican. I was delighted to see that the board indicated that the next train was for Edgeware Road. Mind you, there was quite a delay. Naturally, when the train eventually arrived, it was for Upminster (different line entirely). Par for the course, here. Seems they no longer even bother to mention the faulty indicator boards, I suppose they assume you'll know. So I quickly switched to Plan B - hop on that train for one stop, to Earl's Court, then take the Piccadilly Line, which cuts across town rather than heading in a circle around it. That'd zip me to King's Cross, from where I could pick up any eastbound train to Barbican, two stops away.

I had great fun tourist-dodging at Earl's Court. My, but it's vexing when a whole group of confused tourists stand right in front of you as you're in a hurry. Anyway, thankfully, I got a seat on the Piccadilly Line train - I had a long journey to make, sitting was preferable. I had my book to read, and got a substantial portion of it read by the time I had to change again, and within no time after that I had disembarked and was trotting down Beech Street. I knew my way until I was inside the Barbican, which I don't go to that often, and which always confuses me. But I found the ticket office, downstairs, without trouble, and she let me recite the last four digits of my payment card to her rather than dig for it. Which was handy. Then I had to gallop back upstairs again, seeing as I was in the top level of the theatre. I was breathless by the time I got to my row - only to find that a lot of the seats had sold this afternoon, and where the seating plan had shown empty seats when I booked, there was now a whole heap of people to excuse myself past. O well.

There was a rucksack on my seat, which he had to move before I could sit. I also found myself between two guys who have that unfortunate habit of breathing heavily, so for the entire performance I was listening to one or other of them breathe noisily through his nose. Also, I was a little cramped for legroom. Never mind, there was a bit of a ledge to leave my book on, and it would take more than that to distract me from this excellent play!

The first thing you should know is that it's based on a Booker Prize-nominated novella by Colm Tóibín. He's always terrific, and you know this is going to be a good play. The second thing is that it's acted by the irrepressible Fiona Shaw, so you know it's going to be well acted. Guaranteed a good night, in fact.

When I got in, there was a whole host of audience members on stage. It turns out that the play starts with her in a glass case, surrounded by candles, in the traditional Marian image (for this play is about Mary, mother of Jesus), and audience members are invited to come and adore her. I guess this is more for people in the stalls. Then the cage lifts, and she becomes more human, more ordinary. Except for the massive bird of prey she carries around for a while - that's explained as the story progresses.

It's reminiscent of The Life of Brian, in a way - with Jesus' mother incredulous at the attention he's getting, disbelieving of his miracles, describing his followers as a group of misfits, casting her eyes to the ceiling when recalling their sayings, and remarking that "whenever two men get together, there's bound to be foolishness". The first part of the play - it runs for 80 minutes, without interval - is hilarious, and Fiona Shaw's facial expressions are enough to reduce the house to laughter. Even if you're too high to see them properly, you go get a good idea what's going on. Later, she describes the crucifixion with shocking vividness, aided by sound effects and her minimal props. Describes how she was hijacked by his followers, prevailed upon to be a witness to events. But she's disparaging of the "new world order" his death is supposed to usher in, and her last words are "if he died for this, it wasn't worth it".

A memorable piece, and a fantastic piece of theatre, you absolutely should see this if you get the chance. Only runs till Sunday though, so hurry!

It took the people either side of me forever to leave, as they were discussing the play. At length. But o my, it was good to finally stretch!

Tomorrow is another play - I'm off to the Red Lion pub in Islington to see Donkey Heart. Thursday, I'm not sure about - yet another colleague is leaving, that's her last day, and there's talk of drinks. So I may not go to anything that night - we shall see. Anyway, then I'm back to Ireland for the long weekend - not that it's a long weekend in Ireland, but what the hey!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline, enjoyed reading your review, sounds like this play cannot come highly recommended enough. I admire Colm Toibin as a writer and any interviews I've seen of him he comes across with great gravitas. I am sure it was a cracking play glad you enjoyed it! I enjoyed very much your descriptions of trotting and galloping on trains and avoiding tourists to finally get your seat at the theatre!! Enjoy the bank-holiday. AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! Yep, excellent, recommended - the book might be worth a look too.

      Thanks, hope you enjoy the weekend too.

      Delete