Tuesday 13 May 2014

Film: Black Christmas (1974)

I mightn't have bothered to blog about Black Christmas, which I watched on YouTube tonight because I have a touch of flu and didn't want to go out - but it's so good I just had to!

I do like my horror films, but I wasn't having much luck with finding decent (free) ones on my YouTube list, so instead I consulted Time Out's list of 100 all-time great horror films. I've seen a lot of them, and there are many others I wouldn't be interested in - I watched The Changeling before, on this list's recommendation, and enjoyed it - a classic haunted house / murder mystery with George C. Scott Well, I had to go down much further tonight, but at #64 I came across Black Christmas.

Made in 1974, it stars Margot Kidder and Olivia Hussey as members of a sorority house. It's coming up to the Christmas holiday, most have left already to go home to their families, there are only a few left. And an unexpected guest, who starts to pick them off, one by one. That's not to mention the obscene and unsettling phone calls. John Saxon is the investigating detective.

So far, so much as usual. Creaky floorboards - check. Big old house with lots of hiding places - check. Boyfriends as suspects - check. But stick with this, horror fans, for the ending - which is a masterpiece of suspense. Also noteworthy, as they point out in reviews, is the camera angle from the killer's point of view - something we're used to now, but they weren't then. Quite a superior quality of film. Check it out! if you're into that kind of thing.

Roll on the end of this flu - but it has been interesting, doing a trawl of YouTube..

No comments:

Post a Comment