Thursday 29 May 2014

Play: Bakersfield Mist

I really wasn't expecting, until last thing last night, to go to Bakersfield Mist tonight. But, you see, I let Time Out inspire me - and someone there must have finally seen this and liked it, and posted a review, because finally, there was the listing. I figure that's how they do it, and why the listings keep changing; I suppose that anything that's reviewed is listed higher. So I booked a ticket. There have been various deals for this show, but they all seem to involve top-price seats. I just wanted the cheapest deal I could get - as usual - so I booked with the show website, for the very back row, which is the only row with third-price tickets. I've been to the Duchess Theatre a couple of times before, and I know there isn't a bad seat in the house, so the back row was fine.

Of the options that Google Maps presented to me, I decided on the Piccadilly Line. However, I noticed a glitch - they had me disembark at Leicester Square, whereas I could see from the map that Covent Garden (which wasn't marked on the map, BTW!) was closer. So I reported it - bet they won't do anything. Anyway, I noted the walking route between Leicester Square and the theatre, for the return journey - Covent Garden is exit only for most of the year, as they replace the lifts.

The queue at the two working lifts was horrendous again. Some brave souls undertake the stairs - which the signs specifically warn you not to do except in case of emergency; it's 15 floors! Anyway, despite the crush, I made it out in five minutes. And although it's not that warm, it was a lovely, balmy evening. It's quite a while since I was in "Theatreland", as it says on the road signs around here, and it's always a shock to see just how close all the theatres are to each other - all those shows you see advertised, most of which are right around the corner, or across the road, from each other. Or a short walk away. Anyway, I was at the theatre in about five minutes, without rushing.

This is also one of the smaller theatres hereabouts, which is handy when it means fewer stairs to climb! And so I made my way right up to the very back row, where the first several seats were occupied, so I figured I was inside them and excused myself past them. When I finally got to the empty seats, I checked the seat number - and discovered mine was one of the occupied seats! Counting back, who had taken my seat but the fat lump of a man that could hardly be bothered to stand to let me pass. Well anyway, there was nobody in the centre - although it did eventually fill - and upon sitting, it occurred to me that this was a better seat - more central! Since all the seats past me were eventually taken, I must have ended up in his seat. So he gave up his seat, which was better - for what? So he didn't have to walk so far in?! Did he get tired and just plonk himself in the nearest available seat?! Fine, I ended up with the better deal. And there was nobody for two rows in front of me, so I had a terrific view.

So, this is a two-person play, advertised as 85 minutes but more like 75, without interval. Kathleen Turner - and I'd forgotten how deep her voice is! - plays a lady living in a trailer park, and desperate to prove that the painting she bought in a junk shop for $3 is actually a long-lost Jackson Pollock. Ian McDiarmid plays the hapless, and very English, art expert whom she's enlisted to verify that the painting is authentic.

It's a bravura performance. The suspension of disbelief required to believe that the stage is the living room of her trailer is a bit much - it's a bit large, is all, and the only other minor criticism I have is that he gets a bit too drunk a bit too quickly. Other than that, I really enjoyed it, and the performances are cracking. V enjoyable performance - recommended. Runs until 30 August.

With no interval, it was still daylight when we came out, and it was lovely to walk back past all the restaurants (nearly every building here that isn't a theatre is a restaurant or pub). Many have outdoor seating, and the pub crowds spilled out onto the pavement on this balmy evening. It's handy to go to things close to home, but it is great to get into town from time to time.

Speaking of which, I'll be doing a fair bit of travelling tomorrow, when I head to The Vibe on Brick Lane, to see Hard Façade in action again. And roll on Saturday, when I'll be heading to the Aldwych Theatre - just around the corner from the Duchess - for the matinee of Wolf Hall, based on the Booker-Prize-winning book by Hilary Mantel, staged by the Royal Shakespeare Company, and starring Jeremy Irons as Thomas Cromwell. O goodee, Tudor fiction! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment