Tuesday 19 November 2013

Southbank Christmas Market

Ho-ho-ho! It's Christmas already.. or so it would seem.

I love Christmas markets. I'm a sucker for schmaltz. I was at the Southbank Christmas market last year, liked it, and was bound to go back. And so I did! but my, what a bitterly cold night I had to brave to do so. I bundled myself up in all the woollies I could find, and was glad I did. Too cold to sit and wait for my train, I paced until it came, and had my gloves on the whole way, conscious that I had a bridge to cross to get to my destination.


Panted to the top - that's not a short staircase, and the walk across helps me to get my breath back. It's been a while. I never tire of the view! and at least you can stave off the cold by walking as fast as possible. (This is the view eastbound, you can just see the dome of St. Paul's - that small white blob to the left - and, more prominently, the multi-coloured bulk of the National Theatre on the right.) Trust me, it's more spectacular in person - these pictures were taken with my phone, my camera battery promptly died the minute I wanted to use it. As usual.

It's nice, the stalls are housed in wooden chalets. And they have strings of lights overhead:


Food stalls abounded, and with good smells too, but honestly, it was too cold to stand outside and eat. This isn't one of the largest markets, but I recommend it as a starter - get an idea here of what is on offer, the larger ones will just have more of the same.

I got a couple of presents.. how organised am I, for once! There were a few jewellery stalls, a couple of stalls with decorative crystal, another couple with furry headbands and scarves. One stall with artificial candles, another with artificial snow. Beads. Leather. Bath products. Quite a few police officers wandering about, keeping an eye on us. Or maybe getting present ideas - one was very taken with the medallions for sale. ;-)

Plans for the next couple of days are fluid - watch this space! For now, I'm glad to be in from the cold..

No comments:

Post a Comment