Tuesday 12 November 2013

Film: Philomena

This is only the second time I've been to Cineworld Fulham Road, and the first since it became my local cinema! I could walk in 23 minutes, according to Google Maps, and so I did. Nice cheap day then, transport-wise. Chilly, but not too cold, and not raining. And I do like to explore. I did find it a revelation to see how many restaurants there are along Old Brompton Road.. plenty to explore then.

I did, indeed, get to the cinema in about 23 minutes, walking briskly. This cinema is all brass, marble, glass, wooden doors - nice décor. The ticket machine worked, unlike some I've met, and I found my way to the screen. Slight confusion over where the toilets were, and I ended up leaving it until I came out. Comfy seats, good legroom. I don't know whether it's just me, but I did get the impression that the screen itself was angled slightly away from the door, meaning that you needed to sit more to the left to get a more balanced view. Anyway, seating was unallocated. Mind you, by the time the film started, the cinema was packed.

Philomena, directed by Stephen Frears and based on the book The Lost Child of Philomena Lee, by Martin Sixsmith, is the true story of Philomena Lee, played in the film by Dame Judi Dench (Steve Coogan plays Sixsmith), who had a baby boy out of wedlock in Ireland in the 50s, was sent to Sean Ross Abbey in Roscrea to have him, and had to work off her debt to the nuns by working in the laundry. Ultimately, her son was sold to an American couple. Fifty years later, she tells her daughter about him, and starts a search for him. In real life, apparently, Sixsmith only got involved after most of the details had been uncovered, but in the film he helps with the search from the beginning.

This is a very sensitively handled film, very sweet. The temptation, of course, is to gun for the nuns that not only caused such misery to young unmarried mothers, and sold their children, but also actively prevented this mother and son from finding each other, years later. However, as in real life, Philomena forgives them, and in the film remarks to Sixsmith that being angry must be very tiring. Ultimately, you see that what was done cannot be undone, and everyone must find a way to live with it.

BTW, Judi Dench manages an Irish accent just fine, but I can't say the same for the girl that plays her younger self. O dear..!

Tomorrow night is Blam!, a Sadler's Wells production at the Peacock Theatre. Looking forward to it, I haven't been to a dance performance in some time. Shall have to look up how to get there though, it has been quite a while. I managed to beat the official price by 55p - the actual ticket price was the same, but the booking fee was 55p less on fromtheboxoffice.com! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment