Friday 8 November 2013

Film: Short Term 12

So, I was rechecking the film ratings today to see what to go to tonight, and there was almost an upset. The Geographer Drank His Globe Away had risen to the same level as what I had planned to go to, Short Term 12. (It's since dropped slightly again.) Well, I was considering going to this newly risen film, which turns out to be part of the Russian Film Festival (there's a wealth of film festivals in London right now) - but it was already sold out for tonight. So it was back to my original plans, and probably
до свидания (do svidaniya) for good to the Russian film, now that it's fallen in ratings.

Short Term 12 is now only showing in the Vue Piccadilly (Apollo), which I've only been to once before. Had to remind myself how to get there. It's off Piccadilly Circus, of course, so I headed off on the Tube, to the familiar smell of diesel. Arrived in good time. This is the cinema with the dazzling blue lights on the stairs. There was no-one in the lobby, so I made my way down to the basement, where the screens are, to buy my ticket.

My screen was quite small, but there were only four people there when I arrived - a middle-aged couple and a pair of young women. All of whom were having a lively chat about films. The younger women were obviously film buffs, and at one point the couple asked them whether they went to mainstream films as well. Personally, I hate that question. As if there's a difference. A good film is a good film, regardless of who's in it, who made it, how big the budget was, or what language it's in. To be fair, they did respond with a couple of names of "mainstream" films they'd been to, but seemed to have to think a bit. I was tempted to start telling them I'd been to Gravity the night before, but restrained myself..

They, and a couple of American ladies that arrived subsequently, were all quite loudly vocal of their disapproval of the number of ads. Really, you'd think they never normally darkened the doors of a "mainstream" cinema! I was relieved when the film started, just that they'd shut up..

Short Term 12 is set in a short-term care home for foster kids, until the system decides where to put them. They are supposed to stay for a maximum of 12 months. The film centres on a young woman who works there, and kind of supervises the other front-line staff. She is in a long-term relationship with another of the staff, and as the film progresses, we see how good she is with the kids, and that she has her own demons to exorcise.

As one of the young women remarked on the way out, it's a very clever film, in that it is both very funny and very sad. We really care about both the worker and her boyfriend, and the kids in the home. I was dubious about this film, worried that it would be yet another saccharine coming-of-age drama. Or else unpleasantly gritty. Neither - it's charming, the characters are appealing, but never is it smug or patronising. I really, really enjoyed it, and am glad I got the chance to see it before it goes entirely. Excellent film, well deserving of its high rating on IMDB.

Handy there's a Tesco right next door to the cinema, I'd forgotten I was out of milk. And then I had an entertaining Tube ride home - it's five weeks since I was in London at a weekend and I'd forgotten how mad it gets then.

And tomorrow, for something completely different! Not a film, for a change - the plan is to go to the Lord Mayor's show (weather permitting - it was supposed to be fine, but today was atrocious). This marks the tradition of the Lord Mayor of London leaving the old city of London to present his credentials to the king, at Westminster (where the king used to live). So, there'll be an enormous parade, at the end of which will come the Lord Mayor's coach. There will be free guided walks of the old city at 3 - I'll be there for that, it's my favourite part of London - and fireworks from a barge on the river at 5. And they're turning on the Christmas lights in Regent Street, just to finish the spectacle! As I say, hope the weather holds..

No comments:

Post a Comment