Saturday 20 April 2013

The Arrest of Ai Weiwei

As I listen to my neighbours' Caribbean party - or so it sounds. ;-)

Took myself all the way up to Hampstead today for "The Arrest of Ai Weiwei" in Hampstead Theatre. First time there, although I nearly did go there once before. Tube: Swiss Cottage. V posh Tube station - brass effect on the escalators, for goodness' sake! Exit 2 gets you right outside the theatre. There's another thing - surprising to find an out-of-town Tube station with so many exits - although, to be fair, that is a big road outside it.

Nice-looking theatre, comfy seats, decent legroom. Small farmers' market outside is nice, although I didn't buy anything. Friendly staff.

The play itself: now, this is what I like. Nicely politically provocative. Very minimalist set, surprising amount of people milling about. When we were taking our seats, there was a whole crowd of people onstage, apparently chatting, a couple of them taking photos. Guessed they must be part of the show - yes, they were. Some helped to dismantle the set when needs be. When not needed, they just sat round the edges. Interesting.

I really liked this. I liked the fact that a lot of it involved the Chinese guards poking fun at Weiwei's art, which might echo the feelings of many of us not involved in the world of contemporary art, installations, and such. I liked the scene changes. I liked the casting. I liked the people milling about in parts, intended to represent the media / world interest. I liked the final scene, where Weiwei, to paraphrase, said those who do not seek change "are just flatulent slaves".

Recommended.

Tomorrow: "Nineveh" in the Riverside.
Monday...... Yes, believe it or not, I scored a ticket to The Book of Mormon! Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment