Sunday 21 April 2013

Nineveh

So, saw "Nineveh" today at the Riverside Studios, Hammersmith.

Firstly, always excited to go to this place. A short walk from Hammersmith Tube, it's got three theatre spaces, a cinema, and a restaurant. This was only my second time, but they do seem to go for edgy, experimental stuff.

The play itself concerns three soldiers, seemingly trapped in the belly of a whale or such, reminiscing about their wartime atrocities. They're put to shame when a young African boy arrives with tales of being a child soldier.

'Tis good, but not as shocking as you might expect. Apart from one bit, which I won't describe. Maybe I'm just immune after years of exposure in films and on tv. Anyway, I might've expected more.

Was going to eat in the bar-restaurant there, but I could only see one other person eating - most were drinking - and no menus or table service. I did see the menu on the way out, but it struck me that it would probably be some trouble to get served, and I skipped it and am now listening to the oven count down the time behind me. Nyeh, you get tired of eating out anyhow.

While we're on the subject of Riverside, let me STRONGLY recommend another play currently running there, until 19 May. "Mies Julie", which I saw some weeks ago, must be the best thing I have seen in London so far. That's saying something, folks. If Nineveh lacks intensity and shock value, Mies Julie more than makes up for it. GO SEE, if you haven't already.

So long - dinner nearly ready. "Book of Mormon" tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment