Thursday 25 April 2013

Film: Rosemary's Baby

Well, the evening did not start well. Tripadvisor review to appear shortly. Basically, the ATM wasn't working, the tiny lobby was chaotic and it took me so long to get my ticket that I missed the start of the film, despite having arrived in time for the ads. Boo. Do not use the ATM! Anyway, I cheered up when I got to the cinema - it was the downstairs one this time, with luxurious reclining leather seats, and there were quite a few free seats, so easy to find a place in the dark.

It's taken me years to get to see this film, and now my curiosity is satisfied. To those of us conditioned by modern horror, it ain't scary in the least. Some scenes are risible, and much seems dated. I finally stopped looking for scares, and paid more attention to the cinematography, the way the shots were set up.. that's still interesting.

Interesting points based on when the film was shot - the costumes, the fact that she drank happily through her pregnancy, the way her husband spoke to her (wouldn't put up with that nowadays!). Wonder how that was perceived at the time.

Anyhoo. "Mayerling" ballet tonight at the Royal Opera House (which, funnily enough, is the home of the Royal Ballet). Cool, I was just remarking that I hadn't been to a dance performance in an age.. I'm up in the gods for the sake of a cheap ticket, but have been there before and it's fine, as long as you don't have extreme vertigo. Plenty of handrails. Just have to arrive in time to make my way all the way to the roof.. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment