Friday 12 May 2023

Wine Tasting, Comedy, & Art: Francis of Assisi

Yesterday, I was back with The Hideout: Horror Sci-Fi Club London, for wine tasting followed by comedy (hmm..) in La Pizzica restaurant. Sounded interesting..

Drat, but that's a long way from me. Nearly an hour, even if I took the Tube - I didn't really have time to eat beforehand, but figured, well, it's in a restaurant, I shouldn't starve! The District Line did its usual thing of, well, being delayed - for no apparent reason. I eventually made it to the restaurant at about 5.15 - the meet & greet was supposed to start at 5. The restaurant, as I entered, was completely empty, apart from the maitre d' - who, upon seeing my confusion, directed me to the private room downstairs, where, sure enough, they checked my name off a list.

Not a single person I recognised, not a single person who identified themselves as from the Meetup group. Happily, I wasn't the first there - there was a jolly group of Italian ladies, who got even jollier as the wine went down, and were very sociable all evening: otherwise, I'd have had a pretty lonely time. The nice man who was pouring the wine gave each of us a glass, into which each wine was poured in succession - there were 13 wines in all, starting with six white, then a rosé, then six red. I basically determined to try them all - although I was kind of dubious about the reds, not being a great drinker of red wine. But we'd also been given order forms (a 10% discount if you ordered on the night), and one lady pointed out to me that the last two reds cost £79 and £85 per bottle, respectively! And as she said, how often are you actually going to get the opportunity to try that kind of wine..?

So, off we went. I guess the nice man responsible for the pouring has seen all this before - the women concentrating on the whites (and asking for refills), the people like myself, determined to try everything, regardless. He still gave the spiel for each (in English for me, Italian for the others) - all about the soil, the region, the aromas, the "notes".. yeah right, just pour..

It was quite fun, really! and even though we only got a little at a time, by the time I'd gotten to #13, I was feeling the effects. The two expensive wines were, I'm happy to say, very nice - were they memorable enough to merit the price? I don't think so - but to each their own. In common with most, I liked the very first wine I'd tried. And, predictably, the rosé was my least favourite - I'm not a fan at all. But wow, I'm still feeling the after-effects, over 24 hours later, of all those reds - I'm not used to red, as I say, and it did leave a distinctive taste. Nothing stood out, I'm afraid, as it has done for me at previous wine tastings - ah well, I never did intend to buy anything!

Some people ordered food, which was brought downstairs - I dunno, it kind of seemed like too much effort for me. I had some of the nibbles that were provided, to accompany the wine - but basically hadn't eaten by the time the comedy started. I took a seat early, making sure to be well away from the stage - two Italian comedians, the second turned out to be a guy who'd mingled during the wine tasting, and was quite friendly! To be fair, he was also much better than the other guy. Sorry, other guy! I don't remember the name of either. They were both stood at the foot of the stairs as we made our way out - and oh dear, the guy I'd chatted to earlier wanted reassurance that I'd enjoyed it! Now, it's not that I didn't - it's more that I was in desperate need of the loo, so rather distracted..

Could I find the loo? Dunno why I didn't just ask, but I kind of had enough of talking to Italians at that point.. anyway, I considered eating there, but didn't fancy it; I think my tummy might have been a bit upset by all that red wine. And really, the last thing I felt like was more wine (with dinner) to go on top! I headed back to the station, desperately seeking a pub on the way whose toilets I could use - finally lighted on The Golden Lion. Where, I noted, every booth had its own tv screen, for the sports.. how handy, if you're into that! Well, never has a toilet been more welcome. As for food, I was in time to shop on the way home, and settled on a sandwich. Despite me getting home early, by the time I'd done the film list, it was too late to blog - given that, for the moment, we have early morning status meetings at work, what with deadlines looming.

Today, I was thinking of film (which meant I had no idea) - but London Social & Cultural Meetups, whom I haven't been with in so long, went to the National Gallery, to see an exhibition of art related to St. Francis of Assisi! I wasn't going to go with them, given that the group was to include that mad lady that I've been avoiding - but when I looked yesterday, she'd cancelled! for whatever reason. So I was now free to go. They do advise booking a (free) ticket, and although we were supposed to meet in the Sainsbury Wing, it seems that entrance is closed for renovations..

Again, I skived off work early - needed to, if I wanted to eat beforehand! I was thinking The Chandos - and was delighted, upon entering the dining room, to discover it nearly empty! Then I saw the sign on the bar - "Kitchen on break". Perhaps that was why it was empty - although, as someone later remarked, the train strike could have had something to do with it.. Anyway, I hied across the lane to Prezzo, where I was well fed - for my main this time, I had spaghetti, and they asked me whether I'd like a spoon. "Eh, no.." Well, when it came, my pasta was very hot. And I had to put my hand to my mouth. And I think one of the servers saw this, and proactively decided to bring me a spoon, thinking that was the issue.. the spoon went back unused. Just sayin'. Still loving their pay-at-the-table QR codes, though! They save so much time..

This group was to meet at the Fourth Plinth of Trafalgar Square. And yay, we did! We hung on a few minutes for latecomers, then headed into the gallery - sure enough, we'd intended to go in via the Sainsbury wing, but were now redirected to the Portico entrance - basically, the main one, facing the square. She had tickets for us all, and I had my own - the guy at the entrance asked whether we had tickets, then waved us in without looking! We had to ask directions inside, but lo, we made it in the end, arranging to meet a couple of hours later, in the cafe near the entrance.


I've had a kind of fascination with Francis of Assisi ever since watching Brother Son, Sister Moon on the tv, when I was a lot younger than now.. Directed by Zeffirelli, and with Alec Guinness as the pope, it was made in 1972, and has a very 60s feel to it. He was quite the fellow, divesting himself of his wealth, living in poverty and interested in nature.. very ahead of his time, for the early 13th century! And very in tune with the late 60s.. but you can see it in the art throughout the ages, presented at the exhibition, too: there's a kind of otherworldliness to him.






And it seems as though that film I remembered was pretty much on the money - yes, he did come from a wealthy family, and yes, he did strip off his clothes in the town square, and return them to his father - someone painted that, too!


Even the title of the film (and the song of the same name) come from a song of his, the Canticle of the Sun! And I was intrigued by a painting, not including him, but inspired by his love of animals - depicting a wolf that lived among the people:


And yes, he did inspire Clare, who founded the Poor Clares:


And gee, I even got to watch a bit of that film! They show clips from four films about him, on loop on a screen:


I loved the series of pictures, depicting beggars - very simple, very powerful:


In fact, I could say the same about the whole exhibition..


Simple messages are often the most powerful - and Francis has always meant more to me than the armies of religious tat I grew up with. I recommend this exhibition - runs until the 30th of July. Striking.

Afterwards, we searched for a pub that was quiet enough to hear ourselves talk.. we ended up in All Bar One, which was mainly empty! Again, probably the strike.. a couple of people ordered food. I saw they offer a carafe of sauvignon blanc, and had that - except it came in two small carafes, with two glasses! Huh - I managed to carry the carafes, and one glass, down to the table - I left the second glass where it was. And we had a nice time, chatting - despite the racheting up of the volume of the music, about 8.30! Never mind, it was good to be back with this group again. Apologies for the delay in the blog - I'm flathunting again, with something of a tight deadline, which tends to be distracting..

Tomorrow, I should have been on a walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners - cancelled because of the strike, bah humbug. Still, I really need a lie-in.. later, I'm even busier than usual.. First, I booked with Up in the Cheap Seats for the matinée of Leaves of Glass, at the Park Theatre.

And then I have to dash across London.. you see, Mandy, who runs London Herstory Guided Walks, has now started a new Meetup group, Buddies on a Budget in London (BOABIL). And lo, if she isn't taking a group to an outdoor Eurovision party! First, she suggested Battersea - but (free) tickets for that went really fast, with only three of us having managed to book. So we've now switched venue, and are going to Between the Bridges, complete with drag acts! You don't have to pay, but if you buy a ticket, it comes with a free drink.. and this, apart from, as she says, being likely to be more fun, also has the advantage of starting an hour later. Which is handy for me, rushing across town as I'll be.. Both advertised by Eventbrite, and now, Between the Bridges is sold out too.. Has street food, so I don't have to eat en route, phew!

On Sunday - I missed it somehow, but Barrie, also with the 45+s, has a walk along Caledonian Road! Also advertised on TAC, as usual, so I booked there - it being cheaper. I'll have change for him, after today!

On Monday - tan-ta-ra, film again! Looking like Le Otto Montagne (The Eight Mountains), at my local cinema - as are most things, frankly! Set in the Italian Alps, this is the story of childhood friends who grow apart as they grow up. Continuing the Italian theme.. Certainly, the scenery promises to be lovely!

On Tuesday, back with Over 40 Living the Life - I got the last ticket to this rescheduled dinner at Greenwich Yacht Club!

On Wednesday, back with BOABIL - she's introducing us to the Floating Pocket Park, in Paddington! where they have free things in summer - on Wednesday, it's a free concert.

On Thursday, another film - this, however, is a private screening, organised by The London Palestinian Rights Meetup Group, in association with the Bethlehem Cultural Festival! Showing at the Prince Charles is Farha, the dramatisation of the life of a young Palestinian girl in 1948 - just at the start of the Nakba.. includes a Q+A afterwards with the director. Tickets from Eventbrite again. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend..

No comments:

Post a Comment