Tuesday 23 May 2023

Author Event

TonightThe Horror Book Club lately advertised an author event, with two female horror writers, at Waterstone's in Trafalgar Square. Tickets bookable in advance on Eventbrite - I checked out one of the books as a free Kindle sample, and liked it, so I said I'd go. Pay extra and you could get a book with your ticket - but only one, and it cost more than both together cost on Kindle! So I passed on that option - if I feel like it, I'll order them on Kindle afterwards.

Decided to eat in Prezzo, next door, beforehand - and my buses were nice and quick. The lady who greeted me at the door looked at me as though I was an idiot when I said I'd booked. Now, I could see the place was half empty - I just wanted to let her know, in case they thought the person who booked hadn't arrived! She made sure to sit me right beside another table, despite all the empty space - probably to make it easier on the waiters.

Now, it wasn't long until she took my order - and five minutes later, I had my starter, a moreish chunk of garlic bread, dripping with butter. No sign of my drink, though - when I mentioned it to the waiter (a different guy), he looked at me in surprise, then gesticulated towards the bar, where she was indeed standing. I really am still not sure what he meant by that gesture - perhaps he thought she was coming with it? Well, she wasn't - she went off to take another table's order, while he brought my drink himself a couple of minutes later. With what I thought was a pointed look in her direction..

Pasta arrived, and again, the chicken I'd asked for with it was delicious. I tell you though, I was stuffed by the end, and didn't quite finish it - it was surprisingly easy to ask for another glass of wine though; another waiter entirely just happened to be passing, and was all too happy to oblige! And at the end, they have the "scan to pay" facility, which makes life so much easier. I tell you though, the atmosphere there is frantic - it's not a place I'd come for a relaxing time, or a special occasion. And when I went outside, consulting my phone, I suddenly remembered I'd wanted to go to the loo, so I nipped back in again - I thought the odds were better of finding one there than in Waterstone's. I was met by the most officious waiter, just as I was about to head down the stairs, who demanded to know whether he could help me! Well, I explained, and he let me off.. but really, not the friendliest of receptions overall.. Oh, and they could improve the cleanliness of their toilets.. and fix the lock on one cubicle door..

Now, our organiser had suggested meeting in Waterstone's Cafe, but it turns out it closes at 6 - an hour before the author event. So when she let us know, I relaxed - arrived just before start time, and sat with them at the back of the few rows of seats. Handy she'd told us it was downstairs, as there weren't any signs. It wasn't really half full:


It's a long time since I listened to a talk in a bookshop - and it is a lovely experience, soft voices and a hushed atmosphere. The MC was an author herself, and introduced the authors by inviting them to give a brief "blurb" about their books, then read a bit - they both chose the start, both of which I'd read on the free Kindle samples. Most of the event then consisted of her asking them questions - at the end, she opened it up to the floor. Interesting topics raised included historical research, geographical research (and whether they visit places when writing about them), and basing characters on themselves.. Arguably the most interesting topic discussed was the advent of ChatGPT, and to what extent this will impact on writers.. watch this space! So, it was an enjoyable event - but I didn't learn anything revelatory, nor was I inspired to buy either book - yet, anyway. I had a nosey around the travel section too, but didn't see anything relevant to me..

Sadly, people weren't up for a drink this evening, but it was nice to see them. And nice, too, to get home early! On a complicated network of buses - it's lovely to have a choice, and lovelier to have the Hopper fare, which means I can take as many as I want within an hour.

Tomorrow, thinking film again - and up to last week, it was still looking like The Blue Caftan, which was always near the top of the list. It's Moroccan, and showing at my local cinema - not that either of those film listings websites seemed to think so at the time, so I had to confirm on the cinema's own website! Grr.. But on later inspection, I discovered Shadow of a Doubt, a Hitchcock thriller showing at The Garden Cinema. Not advertised at all on my old cinema website.. had to go to the new one!

On Thursday, I'm back with TAC for a play called The Last of the Pelican Daughters, at The Courtyard.

On Friday, film again - and what limited information I have now suggests I'll be seeing A Plein Temps (Full Time), at my local cinema - at least, they have the most complete listings, for now! Certainly looks good, with a pacey trailer, focusing on real-life stresses of a single mother, working in Paris and battling train strikes! Well, we all know something about that, eh.. Highly subject to change, mind, film listings being what they are!

On Saturday, back at last with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old LondonersIt's been too long.. This walk is Highlights of Westminster. Now, I wonder whether there'll be any coronation-related material..


On Monday - which is yet another bank holiday, but the last for a while - I'm with Discover London for a walk entitled The Great Plague 1665: The Full Story. Certainly makes a change from the Great Fire.. and another group I don't get to see often enough!

Next Tuesday, having tried several sold-out shows, I finally plumped for Dixon and Daughters, at the Dorfman. Got the last cheap, restricted-view ticket in the pit..

And on the 31st, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at last! Well, I couldn't resist a performance of Aspects of Love, with Michael Ball - I've never seen it. Showing at the Lyric - there have been cheap offers, but the best I could find were with the official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment