Wednesday 24 May 2023

Film: Shadow of a Doubt

Today, it was film again - and up to last week, it was still looking like The Blue Caftan, which was always near the top of the list. It's Moroccan, and showing at my local cinema - not that either of those film listings websites seemed to think so at the time, so I had to confirm on the cinema's own website! Grr.. But on later inspection, I discovered Shadow of a Doubt, a Hitchcock thriller showing at The Garden Cinema. Not advertised at all on my old cinema website.. had to go to the new one!

Of course, today was also the day of the late-running weekly work meeting - should have been over in time to get to the cinema, but it ran over. That's a very longwinded bloke that was speaking in it.. I eventually just signed off; it wasn't for my benefit anyway, it was mainly to tell the salespeople what idiots they are (that bloke is keen on telling people what idiots they are), and I left. Think I only missed about the last five minutes. And I would need to go to the toilet - so arrived a bit late. I couldn't even have chosen a faster public transport option - my quickest choice was by foot! The lady who sold me my ticket warned me that the film was about to start, so I'd better hurry.. I chose an aisle seat, to disturb people as little as possible.

Pity I didn't have more time to explore - this cinema, which I'd never been to before, apparently only opened last year, and seems to have an intriguing, art-deco design. The box office is at ground level, everything else in the basement (they have a lift). There are two screens, and a large bar, with what look like a lot of private alcoves. It was easy to find the screen, and my seat - and oh, what a plush, comfy seat! Reclines, too! And I arrived during the trailers - perfect.

So, this film was made in 1943 (although at one point, someone references 1888 as being 53 years ago, as I recall.. Perhaps I misheard). Anyway - Hitchcock is known as the Master of Suspense, but this film only shows early development of that, although there are definitely some tense scenes. The story concerns a young girl who's all excited when her uncle and namesake comes to visit, only to start to wonder whether he's the killer wanted by the police.. and actually, we're left in no doubt as to his nefarious connections, right from the start. He's carrying a large amount of cash, and seems to be avoiding two guys who are casing the house where he's staying.

So, the tension arises not from trying to figure out whether he's guilty - but rather, what she's going to do with her information, and how far he's willing to go to keep his secret. More appealing, actually - to me, at least - was the humour in the film, not all intentional, methinks! Now, some of it was - her father (the fugitive's brother-in-law) is a great comic character, a mild-mannered bank teller (and what a lovely house he has, for a mere teller), who in his spare time has a passion for dreaming up ways to murder his best friend. Who, to be fair, does the exact same! And our heroine's little sister has some great comic scenes.

But just as many laughs came from the audience at the depiction of women! Oh Lordy, I dunno how much of it was intentional, but what a different era.. the vicar at the party, refusing a drink, and remarking that he assumes his wife will do the same. The heroine herself, simpering at the arrival of her glamorous uncle. The schoolgirls, keeping an eye out for potential husbands. Oh, and the detective, who's barely spoken to our heroine before he decides he's "in love" with her. A different time indeed..

Definitely not up to the standard of some of his later work, but an interesting early example. On the way out, I could have done with the loo - but could I find it? The dim lighting didn't help, and I gave up. I'd be delighted to come back here though - especially with more time to explore! My route back took me past GBK, where - for only the second time - I used the toilet, and - for the second time - the main one was blocked! And so, for the second time, I used the disabled one. They took my order at the table tonight - it wasn't busy at that time. And it was delish - apart from the bit where I nearly choked on a breadcrumb. Hey-ho, I lived to tell the tale..

Tomorrow, I'm back with TAC for a play called The Last of the Pelican Daughters, at The Courtyard.

On Friday, film again - and such information as I have now suggests I'll be seeing A Plein Temps (Full Time), at my local cinema. Certainly looks good, with a pacey trailer, focusing on real-life stresses of a single mother, working in Paris and battling train strikes! Well, we all know something about that, eh.. 

On Saturday, back at last with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old LondonersIt's been too long.. This walk is Highlights of Westminster. Now, I wonder whether there'll be any coronation-related material..


On Monday - which is yet another bank holiday, but the last for a while - I'm with Discover London for a walk entitled The Great Plague 1665: The Full Story. Certainly makes a change from the Great Fire.. and another group I don't get to see often enough!

On Tuesday, having tried several sold-out shows, I finally plumped for Dixon and Daughters, at the Dorfman. Got the last cheap, restricted-view ticket in the pit..

Next Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at last! Well, I couldn't resist a performance of Aspects of Love, with Michael Ball - I've never seen it. Showing at the Lyric - there have been cheap offers, but the best I could find were with the official website. Aisle seat, for the legroom - thanks for the advice, Seatplan!

And yes, film on the 1st - and for now, it's looking like I might finally get to see The Blue Caftan! It's not showing on Friday evening, even in my local cinema - but it is showing there that evening. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment