Thursday 4 November 2021

Tina - The Tina Turner Musical

The day started rather well - my usual meal out at the station had a musical accompaniment, in the form of an army brass band, playing popular tunes. It was a poppy appeal - collectors were dotted all around. Anyway, the musical backdrop was lovely - they started with James Bond tunes, then tried about one modern hit before they gave up on those and reverted to The Beatles. Very pleasant - now, if only that cold draught hadn't been blowing through..

Tonight, finally got to see Tina - The Tina Turner Musical, which I'd booked pre-lockdown and got a refund for! Cheapest tickets, I found, were direct from the Aldwych Theatre. (Which I passed last night, in both directions.) Peculiar website though - I couldn't see my basket without going back into the booking section.

Why is it that, if anything does happen at work, it tends to be late in the day?! Never fear, I did get going - just a little later than I'd have chosen. Waited for the same bus as last night - and again, had to watch it idling at the traffic lights across the junction. Not for as long, this time. And, of course, it goes right past the theatre. Guess what though? Google Maps - get this - wanted me to change to another bus en route. Jesus wept. I didn't change. I tell you this though, it took a minute to figure out a route across the road, to the theatre, right on the other side..


(Note the cyclist, in the yellow jacket, cycling along the PAVEMENT, towards me..) At the entrance, it wasn't exactly clear where to go, with everyone milling around. And wow, it seems I've never actually been to this theatre before! Unheard of. Anyway, an usher, with a very Irish accent behind her mask (and a shock of red hair to go with it) motioned me along the side of the building, to the right, for the Grand Circle. It's quite a bit up. There, two people were at the door, one of whom asked me for my Covid cert (or equivalent) - Lordy, it took forever to find on my phone! Just as well this theatre, too, had asked me to come early.. and then I had a (cursory) bag check, and then someone checked my ticket. And then I climbed some stairs. And after all that, still with plenty of time to kill, I went to the bar - well, they encouraged us to pre-order, but we didn't have to. And lo, where I could only have Pinot Grigio if I ordered online, I was given a choice of Sauvignon Blanc here! So it was worth waiting for. It was served to me in a little plastic bottle, with a plastic container to drink it out of.


It took a moment to find my seat - turned out Row J isn't the back row, it's second from the back. Well, I wouldn't remember, it's weeks since I booked it! And the floor markings are unclear - I wasn't the only one confused. I recommend checking the labels on the seat backs. But I was glad of the aisle seat, with a little extra room for my stuff, and somewhere to swing my legs, if necessary. The poor people next to me, in town for a few days it seems, were perplexed - they were telling me they'd been to see The Prince of Egypt last night, and paid less for Stalls tickets than they had for these! They just weren't expecting to be so high up..! Goes to show.. some shows are just more popular than others.

And with good reason. This is FANTASTIC. Well, you know, I saw a West End medley during lockdown - and this was one of the featured shows. And the lead, Aisha Jawondo, completely blew me away - the woman channels Tina Turner, with all of the sass, and the most incredible, strong voice!

We get her backstory, her troubled relationship with her mother, her disastrous first marriage to Ike Turner. But hell, that's not why we were there.. an usher at the side kept a very close eye on us, and we'd been warned not to sing and dance until the end. But HOW can you not sing along to River Deep, Mountain High? (What the hey, nobody heard me over the people on stage..) And, knowing most of the songs, I spent the whole night bopping in my seat. Until we were finally unleashed, to - you guessed it - Simply the Best. Had to be that, and we'd been in suspense for it all night. And at that point, most of us were on our feet from the start of the song - and wow, did I realise how much I've missed rock concerts.

What was hilarious was the guy in front of me, pumping his fist in the air all night - obviously a big fan. Anyway, the back few rows were completely full, the few rows in front of that completely empty (obviously more expensive). And he and his friend moved down at the interval, as did a lot of people. Well, I was delighted for him - they had the whole row to themselves, and he was dancing up and down that row as soon as we were allowed. Sheer unleashed, unadulterated glee, and I was delighted for him! Currently booking until the 18th December next year - a must-see. Haven't seen its like since Motown the Musical..

Tomorrow, I'm flying back to Ireland again - a Friday flight, for once! Just for the weekend, this time. And on Saturday, I'm headed to the pictures - delighted to be seeing Last Night in Soho. Earliest showing at the Omniplex, so I've booked - although curiously, when I first looked, the Arc in Ennis had a matinĂ©e, which now seems to have been removed. Well, never mind, the Omniplex is cheaper. And this sounds really interesting, and has great reviews. (Ironic, I leave London to watch a film set in London..) A young girl (Thomasin McKenzie) comes to study in London, and fantasises about swinging Soho in the 60s. Unsurprisingly, she dreams that she is there. Surprisingly, it seems she's dreaming about real events - and when this spills into her waking life, she has problems. A pleasantly unusual-sounding horror.. Stars the late Diana Rigg, in her last performance, as her landlady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment