Wednesday 3 November 2021

Play: The Normal Heart

Tonight, I was at the National for The Normal Heart, of which I'd heard good reviews. Honestly, I was a bit dubious - what, another play about the advent of AIDS? But well, one of the organisers of Up in the Cheap Seats went to see it a few weeks ago, and raved about it - and I usually agree with her choices - so I said I'd give it a shot.

A little far to walk - and thank goodness, because I didn't fancy crossing a bridge in this cold! So, I hopped from one foot to the other for warmth, waiting for the #26 bus - frustratingly, stuck within sight for several minutes at traffic lights. And off we crawled - taking quite a bit longer than Google Maps' prediction, what with all the roadworks in the West End. The theatre had advised me to be there half an hour early. The show started at 7:15, and I got off the bus at about 7.. thank goodness I started in time! Not too many security checks at the theatre, we all just had to undergo a cursory bag check - and this being in the Olivier, we had the advantage of a lift. Which I was delighted to take!


..and yes, at that point - within 10 minutes of start time - this is how empty it was. I tell you though, it filled suddenly, right before start time - and the entire place was packed! Not quite sure where they were all hiding until then.

Liz Carr plays "Doctor Death" - based on the real-life doctor (also wheelchair-bound) who was among the first American doctors to recognise the epidemic as one. She was the only performer tonight to get a separate round of applause, after a particularly emotive scene of hers. And indeed, this production is really moving, following the story of the development of AIDS through the eyes of a gay rights activist - based on the playwright himself - in New York, his relationship with a journalist, and his work for a gay rights organisation. We are led through indignation at the blatant, persistent, deliberate ignorance of the government, its refusal to grant basic rights to the gay community, for fear of being associated with it - but I had tears streaming down my face when it turned to the personal stories of people that were sick, or had died.

It manages to keep it personal, you see, all the while touching on the wider issues. And the characters are lovable, the script sparkles. Truly, a must-see - not surprising that the theatre (in the round, for the first time in my experience) was packed. Nor was it surprising when we got to our feet at the end for a unanimous standing ovation. So glad I gave it a chance - runs until Saturday, with no cheap evening tickets available: but it's worth it. Go see.

Coming down the stairs, I was glad I hadn't gone up them, there are so many! On the way home, I got to play bus stop bingo at that popular stop on the south side of Waterloo Bridge, where so many buses stop. I could take the #26 again, which would take me to just across the road from home, or the #76, which would drop me a bit further away, but I could get off a bit earlier, change from that to the #100, and get dropped outside my door. I tend to go with whatever comes first in such cases, and boy, was I glad to, tonight, rather than wait in the cold.

Well, first along was the #76, and I gratefully got on board. Now I had to decide whether to get off early and change.. so, as we approached the stop where I'd have to do that, I checked my Buses Due app to see when the #100 was due. Well, it was giving a wait time of 12 minutes - and sure enough, we passed the #100, parked at its terminus, lights off, no signs of life. Sod that, I said, I'd be faster walking - and warmer! Finally, Google Maps told me - in that case - to ride the #76 all the way onto Moorgate. Again, fie on thee, Google Maps - I could see easily from the map that it was faster to get off before the corner, and walk straight down the road.. a little common sense goes a long way!

Tomorrow, finally getting to see Tina - The Tina Turner Musical, which I'd booked pre-lockdown and got a refund for! Cheapest tickets, I found, were direct from the Aldwych Theatre. (Which I passed tonight, on both buses.) Peculiar website though - I couldn't see my basket without going back into the booking section. And then I'm flying back to Ireland again - a Friday flight, for once! Just for the weekend, this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment