Tuesday 30 November 2021

Comedy: Mic Check

Tonight, back to comedy - one of my cheap clubs (CT) sold me a ticket for Mic Check at 2Northdown. (And sent me a dire warning yesterday that late cancellation, or a no-show, would result in my account being blocked. No exceptions.) Gee, if they didn't have such cheap tickets..

Well, it's close enough that it's an easy bus trip, there and back. Easy to find the venue too - they wisely put a sign out front. Now, when I've been here before, it was in summer, and they opened up the whole front wall, which comprises a couple of massive doors - I was glad to see they'd closed it tonight! Took me a minute to figure out where the door was, though. Anyway, they had a list that they checked me off on - there seemed to be a special section for people with CT tickets, with perhaps about seven or so people on it. And the bar - unlike Sunday's - had plenty of white wine! I didn't at all mind being served it in a tumbler. Took a seat near the front. I have to say, it wasn't the warmest - by the time we were halfway through the show, I had to put my coat on again.

I seriously needed some cheering up, after the day I've had. But unfortunately, this wasn't the best place to do it - really, the only acts I liked to any great extent were the MC and the headliner, both of whom were excellent. I had to sit through a lot of dross to get there, though - some very definitely worse than others. Rather glad I don't have any more comedy acts booked that I'm not familiar with - getting sick of being underwhelmed.

Because of the headliner, I'm glad I stayed to the end - I was equally glad to leave. One lady had come with a mobility aid - handy how they could open the front wall to let her out! But I nearly turned into a block of ice while trying to get my phone on a network - it always takes forever, when it's first turned on - and then waiting for the bus. And then walking the short distance from where I got off the bus, against a gale-force, freezing wind. Lordy, was I feeling sorry for myself by the time I got in.

Tomorrow, I booked A Medieval Ghost Story with the Surrey History Meetup, on Teams this time. Tickets from Eventbrite, free when I booked, at least! But you know, they'll probably record it. I hope so, because in the meantime, Invigorate came back with another pub crawl! (AKA Tour of Historic Pubs.) Much closer together this time, thankfully, and all in Southwark, so convenient for me! So I'm going on that, now.

On Thursday, I'm making what used to be my annual pilgrimage to Winter Wonderland! Whee! Particularly as, to get an evening ticket, I had to book three weeks in advance - to combat Covid, they're restricting numbers, and of course, evenings are the hardest to get. Not to mention that they're now charging an entry fee - but that is waived if you book at least £20 of attractions, food or drink in the same transaction. Which I always do - the Cirque Berserk and Magical Ice Kingdom. Looking forward to that hot chocolate with the shot in it already..

And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Assuming the PCR test I do tomorrow - and get the results from on Thursday night - is clear; the Irish government announced this evening that, from Friday, a test is a requirement for everyone entering Ireland, including from Great Britain..


No comments:

Post a Comment