Wednesday 10 November 2021

Concert: Landscapes and Love Songs

Tonight, back with London Classical Music & Theatre Group, for a concert by the London Philharmonic in the Royal Festival Hall. Decided I really must make an effort to meet the group this time - but it can be tricky, if they don't bring a sign or indicate how they can be recognised!

Work was frying my brain - happily, at just the right time the internet seized up, and I took that as my cue to leave. The bus schedule was all over the place - didn't even look realistic online, and certainly bore no relation to reality. That worked in my favour though, and I got there quite early - just before another member, as it happens! We kind of gravitated towards each other, as I checked my messages - forget the free WiFi at the Southbank Centre, it was awful! So, that was tricky.

Still, she spotted me, and we had a nice chat - and even drew a third member to us! Not the Man of Mystery that is our organiser, though - we hadn't a clue where he was, or really what he looked like, so in due course we headed upstairs. And she and I were on the same level - indeed, the same row! which, as I passed several people en route to my seat, someone remarked was almost the only row booked in the rear stalls, with a blatantly empty row in front! Indeed, the fellow to my left moved to the row in front for the second half.. and why wouldn't you?


Anyway. You know, one of the emails I got before the event had a link to the programme - and promptly sent me to the wrong one! Anyway, THIS concert started with - well, it actually started with the guy to my right (actually two seats to my right, the one beside me was empty) giving what sounded like a lecture on classical music to his friend, who was sitting behind him. Maybe he was supposed to be in the seat beside me, and if so, I'm grateful he moved - it's always nice to have the extra space. Seriously, you'd have to wonder - "So, these are the violins, and that's the first violinist - they do all the violin solos - and no, they're not starting just yet, they're tuning up. No, the piano isn't on stage yet, they'll bring it on later - oh look, there it is.."

We were treated to Grieg, for starters - then the piano was wheeled on, and a young pianist took pride of place, for Schumann's Piano Concerto. Absolutely beautiful music, stunningly played - what more can I say? What a lovely antidote to work. The applause afterwards, of course, was tumultuous - and he came back onstage for a lovely little party piece: as someone near me gasped, "Ah, Liebestraum!"

At the interval, we convened at the bar - where she kindly bought me a drink. (I must reciprocate, some other time.) We agreed, with a bar on every level, there wasn't much point in trying to find the others - the one we'd been speaking to was certainly on a different level, and we had no idea where the people we'd never met were sitting. And we chatted about how well the place is looking now, and how we hope it doesn't revert to lockdown. One quibble - why do they not let you take drinks in, even in plastic?! They're the only ones that don't..

The second half was actually what I was most interested in - I love Sibelius. And neither he nor the orchestra disappointed, with a magnificent performance - there's a certain majesty to Sibelius, I think, and it was nice to end the evening with him.

So, we met again after, and were down together - no sign of any of the others, of course. Well, as she said, "third time's the charm!". And it was a lovely evening, regardless. Heading home, I managed to find the steps that lead directly up onto the bridge, and I knew I had a choice of two buses. Happily, I just missed the one that involved a bit of walking, and managed to get the one that would bring me all the way home. Nice new departure screen at the stop, BTW - pity it never seems to be working..

Tomorrow, the Crick Crack Club is back - online - with Trickster, live-streamed from Oxford again. Well, assuming it works, this time.. and today, I got an email, assuring me - again - that it would be recorded, and that it would be available for a week after. Well in that case.. So now, I've booked with Up in the Cheap Seats for Rare Earth Mettle, at the Royal Court. And if that recording gets stuffed up again - well, I'll just get another refund..

No comments:

Post a Comment