Sunday 9 May 2021

St. Patrick's Festival: Film - Ex

Sadly, there's a profusion of real-life walks that I can't go to, and everything else on Meetup running in the evening, which I can't make either - so it was back to the St. Patrick's Festival website today.

And what a curious piece I came across in Ex. A short film made on the shore, in the dark - floodlit in red, the backdrop in black or the rich blue of twilight - it's visually arresting. A man cavorts. In the nip, in parts, which is what leads to the warnings and age restriction - you can't watch it on the website itself, but have to click through to the YouTube feed.

With a soundtrack of discordant music, it has the look and feel of a horror film. Over 10 minutes or so, you get a real sense of intense - angst. Much like contemporary dance, or abstract art, it's hard to pin down a meaning - I got more of a feeling from it than any easy description. I liked it. But then, I am a horror fan!

And on Saturday - Thumbs Up Theatre Toronto is coming up trumps again, with Broadway Beginnings, a real-life guided walking tour of Broadway! Complete with some history, and a couple of ghost stories, I believe. Well, I was there years ago - it'll be lovely to see it again. Complicated payment mechanism though - we have to sign up, then message the organiser to send us the payment details. Well, I have done - we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment