Saturday 8 May 2021

Cultureseekers History & Culture Quiz - English Sayings

Well, Cultureseekers did it again, with a late-advertised quiz. This one sounded interesting - English sayings sounded like something I could manage, so I signed up.

What with getting up late, and placating Puss, I was a little late starting - but they always are, too. The chaotic banter - and someone's radio in the background - were finally muted, and we began about 10 minutes late. Turned out to be a game of two halves - well, 3/5 & 2/5. The first 3/5 were pictures, representing popular phrases that we had to guess - à la Catchphrase! Why, the first cartoon even featured Mr. Chips..

Mainly, I sailed through them - and, as he said we would, I did kick myself when the correct answer was given to ones I hadn't figured out. Like "Hold Your Horses":

                                                  

Kudos to him for another well-thought-out and well-executed quiz! But I don't envy him having to deal with the public - took me right back to my teaching days when someone asked him could he "repeat the question". For goodness' sake - just look at the cartoon, you don't need the question! Nowt queer as folk..

The second 2/5 of the quiz was equally interesting - given a popular phrase, we had to guess its origins. There were only a couple of these I didn't guess - one new to me was the origin of the phrase "raining cats and dogs". Did you know that this derives from mediaeval times, when people had thatched roofs, which would attract mice and insects - so cats tended to hang around up there, dogs followed the cats - and when it started to rain, the thatch got slippery, and they all came tumbling down! Well, I never..

Sadly, there's a profusion of real-life walks that I can't go to, and everything else on Meetup running in the evening, which I can't make either - so it's back to the St. Patrick's Festival website tomorrow, I guess..

No comments:

Post a Comment