Saturday 27 November 2021

Conference: SHERF 2021 & Cabaret: Marie Lloyd Stole My Life

Today, back with the Surrey History Meetup group - nominally - for yet another Zoom call. This time, it focused on SHERF 2021 - a day-long conference based on the work of the Surrey Historic Environment Research Framework, and specifically on church archaeology. As promoted by the Surrey Archaeological Society. Didn't think I'd quite be awake for the start, given the time I went to sleep!

And I wasn't. But after I got myself somewhat sorted, I turned it on in the background, and made a few talks.. there was one about the medieval practice of consuming stone dust! Yes, that was indeed a thing - they used to chip away at the stone walls of holy buildings, and save the dust to put in drinks. Hmm. (And nobody objected!) Then I watched a talk about how they think they've discovered the skeleton of some Anglo-Saxon saint - which was interesting - and a talk, massively abridged apparently, about the analysis of graffiti found in some old church. (The lady who kept nodding off during that one should really have turned off her camera.) Gee, imagine, this talk was once half as long again. But I will say this, there is a terrific amount of information to be gleaned in these old churches - they're a fantastic resource. And it's great that Surrey has such a rich historical tradition that they can make a conference around it! More power to them.

But gee, the London International Meetup belatedly advertised something good for this evening. They were off to a cabaret, at the Canal Cafe Theatre - this was Marie Lloyd Stole My Life! Now, TAC got me to a couple of shows here recently, at a cheap rate - pity they don't seem to have tickets for this! Never mind, I bought full-price, for once..

I had to go by Tube, but mercifully skirted the ongoing strike. And when I got there, the organiser was already in the bar, with another - after I'd got a drink, I joined them. Convivial chat followed, and when the time came for us to head upstairs, some loud-voiced person left us in no doubt. I was trying to juggle my drink and phone (complete with e-ticket), but never fear, giving my name was quite sufficient! And with a jazz version of The Little Drummer Boy on in the bar at the interval, and tinsel decorating the banister that led upstairs, you could say they are in the Christmas spirit, I guess..

We got tables near the front (there were five of us, in the end). And what a fun night! So, this is loosely based on the life of music hall performer Nelly Power - she takes the stage for the first half, regaling us with numbers as she describes her story, and how an upstart newcomer (the eponymous Marie Lloyd) nicked her most popular, as well as her manager. The second half, in contrast, concentrates more on the numbers.

Now, I'd heard of some of these - but didn't really know the words to any. But it was lovely to be in the midst of lots of people who did! I love 'em. Had a lovely time, and it was nice to meet all the folks. Very glad I made this last-minute decision! This show finishes tomorrow - very highly recommended, for those who fancy a traditional, music hall vibe.

Also very glad to be in from the cold, now - it's vicious out there. Now, while that conference was on today, I got an email from the Top Secret Comedy Club - advertising limited, £8 tickets for a David McSavage show tomorrow afternoon. Woo, I love that guy! So I've booked - jeez, haven't been there since the heady days of the Man with the Hat..

And I'll be done in time for evening, when I'm back with London European Club - we're off to Immigrant Comedy (standup comedy in English) at the Camden Comedy Club. Tickets from Eventbrite.. two shows, we're going to the later one. So, a Day of Comedy, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment