Tuesday 16 November 2021

Comedy: Holier Than Thou

Tonight, the last of three cheap ticket gigs in a row was comedy with TAC - Holier Than Thou is a one-man show about a vicar, playing in the Canal Cafe Theatre. So, Tube again - but only half the journey time of yesterday! And off I set. Google Maps decided that I should get off at Paddington - by which stage I didn't have my paper finished. And Lordy, I knew I should have carried on to Royal Oak, which is slightly closer.. it took me five solid minutes to orient myself correctly in Paddington, despite actually being at the right end! What I wanted was Exit 3, for the Union Canal - and the little blue dot that is supposed to represent me on Google Maps was all confused, and little use.

I made it out eventually. Now, the last time I was here, I alighted at Warwick Avenue - this time, I was on the south side of the canal, and walked past the barges of Little Venice, which would have been lovely in daytime. The couple of bicycles that shared the path with me didn't bother me much, and I finally - and with some relief - came on the pub. With 10 minutes to go to the show, they were letting people in already - I figured I had time to get a drink, which I knew I could bring up with me, and that's what I did. I remembered from last time that they do like to know that I booked with my club, as they keep separate lists, and the lady was indeed grateful to know that. And up I went - it's cafe-style seating upstairs, at round tables, and I got one near the front.

The events offered by these seat-filling services can be very hit-and-miss. Last night's, for example, was excellent! Tonight's, in contrast.. Well, it was ok. A young vicar comes on and has a rant at God for the terrible day he's had. Unfortunately, comedy is subjective - and this subject didn't like this comedy. Whether it was the material or the delivery, something didn't gel. I'll say this, though - he has an outfit change in the middle, and is patently uncomfortable with what he puts on! The funniest thing in the show is watching him try to adjust it so it doesn't display more than it's meant to.. I bet he's dreading having to do that all week!

Despite being advertised as "about 50 minutes", it is about 30 - 35, and I wasn't the only one looking at the time in surprise. As so often, I'm glad I didn't spend full price on it. Runs till Saturday - try and find something different to do, this isn't worth a trip. I took the Tube back from the less complicated Royal Oak, and finished my paper en route.

Tomorrow, back with Invigorate for a pub crawl! (Oops, I mean a tour of historic pubs..) Now, that's also my birthday, so I'm sure I'll get a birthday drink! ;-) Glad to be back among people I know.

I would have travelled somewhere foreign for my birthday, but well, that's not so much of an option these days. Anyway, I'm taking that day off work - so my boss has suggested birthday drinks for me on Thursday, as we should be back in the office by then. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - it's easier to get Friday flights at the moment!

I've gotten into the habit of going to films when I'm in Ireland, so looked for one for Saturday - and if it's Limerick Omniplex, they do like you to book, and they don't have a booking fee. Now, I was thinking of Ghostbusters: Afterlife. But you know something, I was dubious that it just wouldn't live up to the original, which I loved - and having watched a review, I think I'm right. (I recommend starting watching the review at about 54 seconds, to avoid the annoying product ad.) Anyway, the gist of this review is that the director of the new movie is the son of the director of the original, and the new film keeps referencing the old film, rather than standing alone. From my perspective, although it has Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and Sigourney Weaver in it from the original, this new film is a coming-of-age, teen adventure, and I'd miss the wisecracks that so defined the original. So I'm skipping it.

Instead - and before it leaves the local cinemas for good - I've booked for The French Dispatch. Also starring Bill Murray, this is an ensemble piece, with Benicio del Toro, Adrien Brody, Tilda Swinton, Léa Seydoux, Frances McDormand, Timothée Chalamet, Owen Wilson, Henry Winkler, Lois Smith, and who knows whom else.. it's set around a newspaper, with Bill Murray as editor, is all I know, and looks fabulous. Written and directed by Wes Anderson, and I'm looking forward to it..

No comments:

Post a Comment