Thursday 18 November 2021

3 Historic Pubs of London #2 & office drinks

Yesterday, back with Invigorate for a pub crawl! (Oops, I mean a tour of historic pubs..) Now, that was also my birthday! ;-) Glad to be back among people I know.

Handily, these pubs were close enough that I could walk to and from. Ye Olde Mitre, I had been in before - but not for over three years! I entered from the main road - Google Maps was good enough to tell me when I was right on top of it, and looking to the top of the arch that formed the entrance to a narrow laneway, I could see the sign. Just as I was about to head down, however, I was hailed by someone from the group, who astutely pointed me out as a member of the group. So we headed together into the crowded courtyard. Where we picked up another who recognised me - and then yet another.

Well, with no sign of our organiser, I said I'd go and get a drink, which would also allow me to check inside - I couldn't remember whether we were supposed to meet outside or in. And gee, it didn't take me long to spot him, at a long table just inside the door, complete with a sign advertising the group. Well, I went and got the others, and we squished in - and squished in some more when the smaller table, in the corner, was taken by a young couple (who had brought a box of cakes, which we looked at in some interest). They'd reserved it, you see - something our organiser hadn't been allowed to do. Perhaps they didn't want to make a booking for so many people! It is a cosy little pub. The heat from the fire was nice, after the cold outside, and we spent a lovely 40 minutes or so there, before he hurried us on to our next destination.

This was a long walk - we were heading for The Cockpit, which he warned us was even smaller. And so it proved - a former venue for cockfighting, it is overlooked by a gallery - but that's too narrow for people to sit. So what tables there are are on the ground floor - four or so of them. After getting our drinks, we stood for a while - eyeing all the tables. In due course, the occupants of the middle one stood to leave, and we swooped in - I thought one of them was eyeing us most dubiously. Anyway, another convivial chat there - and we picked up someone who'd come straight there; our organiser had suggested that as an option. In this pub, the three of us who were Irish happened to sit together, and I had the most Irish chat I've had in London in years!



They really do hammer home the theme, don't they..?

Not as far at all to the last pub, The Blackfriar, where I'd also been before, but remembered much better than Ye Olde Mitre. Well, but I had gone into this one! Again, we started off standing - but some kindly folks, most of whose party hadn't shown, let us have the end of their table. So we invaded. In the end, however, our organiser secured us tables in the dining area at the back, where I'd never been. And my food order, which I'd originally directed to the table at the other end, where we were sat at first, made its way quite safely there.





The food was most welcome - the breadcrumb coating of the chicken pieces I ordered was a bit burnt, but was salvaged by a lovely dip. And we had a lovely natter - the more so when I was given free rein to waffle about U2.. on and on and on and.. Anyway, I had a fabulous time with what is a great bunch of people! Really couldn't think of a better way to spend my birthday.

I was knackered last night - drank more than twice, yesterday, the total amount I'd drunk on any one day since before lockdown! So I crashed, didn't blog. But I'd quite recovered for office drinks this evening - they are reviving the tradition of games and drinks on a Thursday, it seems. And for the first time, they had wine! So I decided just to hang out with them - didn't actually see much gaming, apart from one game of miniature pool. But I had some good catch-ups with folks. More of the same, please! (now that there's an option that's not beer).

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - it's easier to get Friday flights at the moment!

I've gotten into the habit of going to films when I'm in Ireland, so looked for one for Saturday - and if it's Limerick Omniplex, they do like you to book, and they don't have a booking fee. Now, I was thinking of Ghostbusters: Afterlife. But you know something, I was dubious that it just wouldn't live up to the original, which I loved - and having watched a review, I think I'm right. (I recommend starting watching the review at about 54 seconds, to avoid the annoying product ad.) Anyway, the gist of this review is that the director of the new movie is the son of the director of the original, and the new film keeps referencing the old film, rather than standing alone. From my perspective, although it has Bill MurrayDan AykroydErnie Hudson, and Sigourney Weaver in it from the original, this new film is a coming-of-age, teen adventure, and I'd miss the wisecracks that so defined the original. So I'm skipping it.

Instead - and before it leaves the local cinemas for good - I've booked for The French Dispatch. Also starring Bill Murray, this is an ensemble piece, with Benicio del ToroAdrien BrodyTilda SwintonLéa SeydouxFrances McDormandTimothée ChalametOwen WilsonHenry WinklerLois Smith, and who knows whom else.. it's set around a newspaper, with Bill Murray as editor, is all I know, and looks fabulous. Written and directed by Wes Anderson, and I'm looking forward to it..

No comments:

Post a Comment