Tuesday 2 November 2021

Concert: Night Shift

Tonight, I was supposed to meet Ivan. But my weekly horoscope said that today, a friend might let me down - for example, by cancelling at the last minute. So I messaged him - I hadn't heard from him since we arranged it - and sure enough, he's busy with stuff out of town, and isn't in London at all this week. Says we'll arrange something when he gets back. Well, that left me free to join the London European Club for my only Meetup this week. We went to The Night Shift, where the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment was playing classical music - and chatting about it - in The George Tavern. So, delighted I could make it now!

I could walk there - it was just close enough. And certainly, it avoided some of the bus trouble I've had lately! although not, sadly, the cyclists, who were out again tonight in force, and whom I had to weave around as I walked along. Anyway, doors opened at 7.30 - I got there 10 minutes later, to find the group at a long table just inside the door, sofa on one side, bench on the other. I had my name checked off the list, and after I finally got a drink at the bar, joined them - happy enough to have the bench, where I could come and go without having to move people out of my way! I didn't really have a view (of any kind), but hey, as someone said, we came for the music..


But not this music. This was the support act. (ahem) None of us could figure out whether she was singing off-key on purpose.. and so, let's draw a veil over that one!

The main act was so much better, and had attracted a most loyal audience:


Yep, spectacular view, as I say. Anyway, the oboeist educated us on the different vintage oboes he'd brought, and indeed on the various pieces they were playing - Druschetzsky, Mozart, Beethoven, and ending with Schubert. Gorgeous - and the first time I'd ever heard classical music in a pub. And at every opportunity, the crowd - and it was full - was a whoopin' and a hollerin' like they were at a rock concert. Fantastic to hear this music out of its normal setting - it makes it all the more special. Great, too, to see folks again - I was glad I was free.

Tomorrow, I'm at the National for The Normal Heart, of which I've heard good reviews.

On Thursday, finally getting to see Tina - The Tina Turner Musical, which I'd booked pre-lockdown and got a refund for! Cheapest tickets, I found, were direct from the Aldwych Theatre. Peculiar website though - I couldn't see my basket without going back into the booking section. And then I'm flying back to Ireland again - a Friday flight, for once! Just for the weekend, this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment