Sunday 30 May 2021

Harpist Kristan Toczko LIVE in Concert

Tonight, Thumbs Up Theatre Toronto scheduled a last-minute event, listening to a classical harp concert! Fantastic - it's so long since I listened to classical music. And mercifully, it wasn't on as late as the other recent events! Funnily enough, I was messaged today by someone in the group, who must have seen my name on the list - and I swear he was chatting me up. Based in Toronto as he is, that seems rather optimistic to me. Anyway, he said he'd be at the concert tonight, and I said I'd see him there. Which got me out of what was becoming an interminable conversation..

Ah well, at last, a Meetup I could chat at. Although 36 signed up, only six actually showed to the pre-show chat. (No sign of my admirer - to my relief, as I'd said quite enough to him for at least one day. Didn't really expect him to show anyway, I didn't think it was his thing.) The small number meant I could have a decent chat - and as most hadn't realised I was from Ireland, they were duly fascinated! One had just seen Wild Mountain Thyme, loved it - described it as a real weepie. Now, this is the film that's been panned in Ireland for the accents - don't think I could probably sit through it. But anyway. And I had to keep schtum when someone started railing against the pandemic (non-existent, to her mind), and the vaccines (not to be trusted, to her mind). Some people, you just can't argue with. Mercifully, the show came to save us from argument.

Now, I was at a harp concert before. There were five or so performers, and while it was lovely, it was also just a bit much, harps on their own for so long. Well, delighted to say that tonight's concert was nothing like it! A personable young lady - who apparently also teaches harp and piano - took us through a brief programme: 40 minutes or so in all:

• Debussy/Coeur – Clair de Lune
• J. S. Bach/Grandjany – Violin Partita No. 1: Sarabande
• J. S. Bach/Grandjany – Violin Sonata No. 2: Andante
• Caroline Lizotte – Suite Galactique
• Carlos Salzedo – Tango
• Carlos Salzedo – Rumba

I have to say, I was enchanted throughout - my objections last time must have been caused by the playlist. This time, it was perfect - the Clair de Lune was possibly better than the piano version, the Bach was lovely. The Suite Galactique was a revelation - I don't usually like contemporary classical music, but this was lovely. And the two dances to finish were an inspired choice.

Afterwards, there was an unexpected Q+A on Zoom - I decided to join, and was glad I did. Especially once they switched to gallery view, and we could see her - the option to switch wasn't available in my view. We found out all about the pedals on the harp, and how she's involved in rearranging music for harp - she says, if it was written for piano, it's pretty much easily transmutable. She also transcribes from other musical genres - now, that could be interesting! And she's apparently A Big Thing on TikTok..

A delightful concert, this is part of the Scotia Festival of Music (practicing "scotial" distancing). which runs for another week. And this concert is still available to watch, for free - check out the link at the top. Highly recommended.

Afterwards, I logged back on to the Zoom chat - the organiser had kindly waited, and we chatted for a while, but it seems the rest had logged on earlier, not bothering with the Q+A. Well, very thoughtful of her to think of anyone who had attended, and might be logging on late!

Tomorrow, I have the UK Bank Holiday, and while I've been really lucky with Meetup for the past few days, tomorrow will have to fend for myself, what with so many Meetups now being in-person. So, it's back to the most excellent St. Patrick's Festival website. TV permitting..

No comments:

Post a Comment