Saturday 15 May 2021

Cultureseekers Quiz - Buildings in London That No Longer Exist! & St. Patrick's Festival - This Is Hard, Cora

This afternoon, another last-minute-advertised quiz by Cultureseekers - this one was Buildings in London That No Longer Exist. I didn't expect to do very well in it, but thought it should be interesting!

What with the cat n all, I was slightly late - but knew the quiz always starts late, and sure enough it did, and I ended up being just in time, 10 minutes late. The usual babble greeted me - I could see a few people I knew, but I don't get involved, what with all the noise. Maybe I will someday, if they start talking about something I'm interested in. See, it's different IRL (in real life) - if you have a large group you don't know, and there's a lot of chatter, you can just gravitate to the edge of the group, and hopefully start up a conversation with someone who's not already talking to someone else. Not possible on a group video chat.

Well, there were plenty I didn't know, and some I did - actually, more than I expected. And it was interesting to see all the old drawings and photos. There was even one building I remember in real life - wow, it was a shame when they demolished Earl's Court Exhibition Centre, which stood right across the road from what was my local Tube station, for two years! And for another year after that, I saw it every time I was returning from Ireland, and had occasion to walk to that station to catch the Overground, while I lived beside Clapham Junction. I mean, I could get the Tube from Earl's Court Station, but if it wasn't due for a while, it was quicker to walk.

So, that was a nice burst of nostalgia, right at the end. Seems like they made a huge mistake in demolishing it - apparently, it's now been lying waste for years, because they don't have the money to develop the site! Not what I'd call progress.

Anyway, plenty did better than I did, as I expected. Interestingly, afterwards one member - new to the group - commented on the site on how disappointed she was with this, her first Meetup with the group. She didn't know anyone, couldn't chip in with all the noise, and couldn't even figure out who was hosting. Nor when the quiz was starting - there was no indication, and I think she quit before it did. She pointed out that another group she's in makes members raise their hand before speaking, on a video call. Plenty of replies to that - by members; the host didn't bother.

After I logged off, nothing on telly - that I hadn't seen anyway. So, I returned to the excellent St. Patrick's Festival website, still there, still free. Today's offering was a short film - This Is Hard, Cora, which is a delightful little ode to the area around Mountjoy Square in Dublin, from one who lives there. With a particular focus on his adorable little Yorkie, Cora, who's developed a passion for the neighbour in the flat upstairs. Absolutely gorgeous! Animal lovers will love this.

At midnight, my time - Thumbs Up Theatre Toronto is coming up trumps again, with Broadway Beginnings, a real-life guided walking tour of Broadway! Complete with some history, and a couple of ghost stories, I believe. Well, I was there years ago - it'll be lovely to see it again. Complicated payment mechanism though - we had to sign up, then message the organiser to send us the payment details. Well, I did, and she did. But both alternatives involved Canadian banks.. I tried using my regular international money transfer service, Azimo, but they wanted a routing number - and typically for Canada (as I remember from living there), it was impossible to get the right information online! She ultimately agreed to let me use Paypal.. And hey, I know I'll be allowed to speak at this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment