Thursday 5 November 2015

Oud & Song Solo Concert by Acclaimed Arab Musician Kamilya Jubran

I nearly went to a film tonight; then I checked out Kamilya Jubran on YouTube - since the Kensington Classical Music group was headed to see her - and thought her very good. So I booked for that instead, delighted to see that it was walking distance from me! Not so delighted with the venue website, which pops up a dialog on every page, asking whether you want to join the mailing list - even if you already have! Very poor.

It was a drizzly evening, but not too bad, and I was curious to see the Mosaic Rooms, which I'd never been to before. Turns out it's a white building, just on the corner of Cromwell Road and Earl's Court Road, across from the Metro bank. A brisk walk got me there in about 15 minutes, and I was delighted to discover a new venue, just as I'm planning to move from the area. People thronged the steps, barely moving enough to let me inside - where someone checked my name off a list and told me the house was open and I could go straight in. Which I did, passing, along the way, lines of people chatting as though it wasn't about time for the concert to start!

It's a tiny room, apparently generally used as an art gallery. About five large paintings graced the walls - I'm afraid to say I brushed off one as I took my seat. The room was filled with chairs, most of which seemed to be reserved by people's coats - I took a seat at the end of the back row. I saw no-one I recognised.

It didn't stay the back row very long. People scoured the building for chairs, forming two rows behind that - and when they ran out of chairs, people sat on the floor, and stood in a crowd at the back of the room. Honestly, did they not limit the number of tickets they sold? There was no air-conditioning either, and it soon became uncomfortably stuffy. Not to mention the hard seats..

The artist took her place onstage eventually - at least 20 minutes late. I think they were waiting for people to stop chatting and come in. She was very softly spoken, and had no mic, and when she wasn't playing music I could barely hear her - which was a shame. Because her music was beautiful. She's Palestinian, the music is Arab-influenced, and it was sensual and otherworldly. I'm biased, but this sort of music always reminds me of AndalucĂ­a, and the Alhambra in particular. Or maybe that reminded me of the music. Whatever, it's a hypnotic combination (and I guess, in that context the heat of the room was appropriate). She only played for an hour or so, in the end - and I was so glad to get out of that room (once I squeezed past the people who'd started chatting again) - but had it been a more attractive venue, I'd have stayed all night. I absolutely loved it.

And was home delightfully early - the great advantage of going to something local. Gee, that's two early nights now! I could get used to this.. except, of course, I shan't. I fly to Glasgow tomorrow for the first of two U2 concerts. I did a power of organising today - checked in for tomorrow's flight, and the hotel, booked a return shuttle bus from the airport to town, researched my walking route to the hotel. On Sunday I fly to Dublin (there being no direct flights between Scotland and Shannon any more!), and today I booked my train ticket from there. I fly back to London on Tuesday. And today I also printed tomorrow's boarding pass, bus ticket, map of the city centre, and hotel confirmation, the concert tickets, the details of my other flights and the train ticket. I ask you, my life ain't complicated at all, now is it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment