Thursday 18 June 2015

Restaurant: The Stag

I was in the Guildford office today, because a leaving lunch had been organised for one of our colleagues who's off to pastures new. Some discussion ensued, to try and avoid the trend of overpriced food nearby - and we decided on The Stag, with a lovely riverside setting.

Round these parts, of course, a car is necessary, and we piled into two for the trip. An awkwardly narrow approach road leads to the car park in front of the pub. where we found a space at the edge, somewhat in the shade - on what turned out to be a very warm day. After we'd got our drinks, we headed for one of the tables outside, in common with pretty much everyone else there. We found one with an umbrella to give us shade, though.

Among us, we duly ordered three burgers (they only do one kind), two fish n chips, a duck and a chicken (me). When the food came, we were intrigued to observe that the burgers came with skinny fries, the fish n chips with chunky ones.. and those of us who hadn't ordered the fish n chips were mighty jealous - it looked gorgeous.

My chicken was served with crispy parma ham, asparagus (which I'm not keen on, so I didn't eat), and sweet potato fritters - which someone thought looked like scotch eggs. And I must say they were delicious. The ham was as dry as a crisp, but very tasty when I broke some off to eat. The chicken.. was miniscule. Which was probably just as well, as it was completely bland. I wouldn't have it again, and don't recommend it.

I'm sure there are better choices on the menu, service is good, and the setting is gorgeous.

And tomorrow I'm off to the circus! Traces: The 7 Fingers is playing at the Peacock..

No comments:

Post a Comment