Monday 29 June 2015

Italian Swing, Jazz and Rock n Roll

Checking Meetup for today, the stand-out event sounded like the Italian Swing, Jazz and Rock n Roll event, advertised by the World Music Meetup, upstairs at the Ritzy. So off I went, on a brilliantly sunny and warm evening. It's not hard at all to get to, although I was never there before - from Victoria, I took the Victoria Line for four stops to its southern terminus at Brixton, then turned left out of the station and a short walk brought me to the Ritzy. About half an hour's journey, in total.

I've never been to the Ritzy before, although I've threatened to go many times! For a first-timer looking for the upstairs music venue, it's confusing - there's a bar / restaurant to the left, a cinema to the right, and no sign of music. Just as I asked the guy at the cinema box office, I saw the inconspicuous sign - the upstairs bar and music venue are accessed by a flight of stairs squeezed in between restaurant and cinema. One floor up is the upstairs bar - the music venue is one floor above that again. Tickets can be purchased at the upstairs bar - £5 entry, and you get your hand stamped.

I queued for ages at the bar, and while I was doing so, decided to get a drink. Very good value, a large glass of white was just £5.50. Of course, being me, I spilled a decent amount while trying to navigate the stairs, carrying glass, coat, and newspaper. When I got upstairs at last, despite the music having been supposed to start at 8, there was no sign of it. I contemplated taking a seat inside, but honestly, when I saw there was a balcony, it was no contest. So I sat out there, on a lovely sunny evening but in the shade, with a pleasant breeze blowing. And there was somewhere to leave my drink. I did eventually identify the Meetup table, I think, but didn't know anyone at it, and couldn't be bothered leaving my nice perch outside.

So I stayed out there for the act, which came on 25 minutes late. You could hear just fine from where I was. Unfortunately, there wasn't much worth hearing - this was your typical wedding band (and indeed, apparently they are available for weddings). The theme was Italian, and I was familiar with some of the numbers, which were competently played, but dull. After half an hour, things did pick up, and they performed a few good pieces - but when they went off for a break, I took my leave.

Anyhoo, nice to be home in daylight. Tomorrow, I'm off to my first event with Free London Events and Talks; they're off to a contemporary dance event called Of Memory and What Remains. The event is free, as the group name implies - tickets available through Funzing, and it's on at the Bolivar Hall.. I was at a film there once, as I recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment