Friday 6 March 2015

The Baulkham Hills African Ladies Troupe

So, last night I finally got to the Women of the World Festival at the Southbank Centre. I was meant to go on Tuesday, of course, but was waylaid by colleagues and ended up spending a convivial evening with them instead. Last night, I had a ticket to see the Baulkham Hills African Ladies Troupe, in the Purcell Room. Now, I hadn't been in that section of the Southbank Centre before, but the website gives its location as the Queen Elizabeth Hall building, and I'd been there a few times, so headed off with confidence.

The Tube came without too much delay, and this time the indicator board that described it as heading into town was correct - which was a relief, because that was where I wanted to go. There was a short delay at Earl's Court, as usual, and the customary pause to "even out the gaps in the service" at Westminster, the very stop before mine! I was getting worried that I'd be late, but we got to Embankment just under 10 minutes before the performance was due to start. Which was just enough time - and I didn't even expire climbing the steps to the bridge (I was a bit worried, it's been quite a while). My though, the Thames is a wide river to cross when you're in a hurry..

I dashed into the building, and over to the prominent ticket desk. I had minutes to spare, and was glad of the helpful signage that pointed to right or left depending where you wanted. I blurted out to the guy at the desk that I had booked a ticket for "the thing in the Purcell Room". Well, the title is quite a mouthful. So he gave me my ticket and off I dashed, passing a confused chap who didn't know whether we could go in since the door was closed. We could - it hadn't started yet. Luckily, my seat was very near the entrance - Row E, but they'd covered the front three rows with the stage, so I was actually two rows from the front. In fact, I had that whole section of Row E to myself, which was lovely - I spread my belongings over the seats to either side, and relaxed into the comfy leather seat.

The room was quite full, and the performance started a minute or two later. I really had no idea what to expect - maybe some nice African rhythms: and I wasn't disappointed. But this show is so much more. Basically, it's seven women who came from different parts of Africa to start new lives in Australia. Most came as refugees, all suffered in Africa. Most were raped, most suffered as a result of civil war. We know this because, over the course of the evening, we heard all of their stories, each written down and acted out by others in the troupe.

By no means was it a depressing evening, though. They lived through these things, but as the statuesque Eritrean woman pointed out, their stories do not define them. They are strong women, they sing and dance, and displayed the most wonderful array of native costumes. We also heard about the lives they've made for themselves now - and they took care to show us different African dances. They even had a mock quiz about Africa - where I learned that the three most widely spoken languages are English, Arabic and Swahili..

It was a terrific, compelling, powerful evening, and I'm very glad I went. I'd had enough after (just under) two hours though, and didn't stay for the post-show discussion. They're performing again at 7.45pm tonight and tomorrow night - highly recommended if you're around. Booking also recommended.

Tonight, I'm planning on heading to the pictures (unusual for me these days!). I had a look at the film ratings yesterday, but there have been seismic shifts in ratings since then, and top of the list for today is Selma, the film about the late Dr. Martin Luther King's march from Selma to secure voting rights. I'm delighted to get to see it - it's been out for ages and I didn't think I'd get the chance. Obviously, its Oscar coverage helped keep it in circulation, even though it wasn't successful. I've read a review that the film as a whole isn't terrific, but the lead actor, David Oyelowo, is perfect, and I'm sufficiently interested to give it a shot. Tom Wilkinson plays the President, and Tim Roth the Governor, and Oprah Winfrey shows up as Annie Lee Cooper, an activist best known for punching the sherriff. Having been out so long, its listings are limited, and I have to go to Shepherd's Bush to see it at a time I can manage. Which is ok.

Now, a friend of mine at work put me on to a social website called Meetup, which comprises many groups with different interests. None of their events have worked for me yet, but I have booked for a walk of the location of the Great Fire of London, tomorrow afternoon, with an organisation called Ken's Events, which advertises there. I'm always up for a walk through the City - although it's three hours, and I'm not feeling the best just now. Still, we'll see how I feel tomorrow - payment only required if I go, anyway!

1 comment:

  1. Update.. heading to Seriously Possessed instead, got a last-minute ticket! Details to follow..

    ReplyDelete