Thursday 19 March 2015

Musical: Margaret Thatcher, Queen of Soho

With nothing I fancied scheduled in Meetup for tonight, I resorted to Time Out. After loading no fewer than 9 pages, I finally came across Margaret Thatcher: Queen of Soho. Oh goodee, I thought - a chance to diss the witch. Irresistible. Seeing how full the theatre already was last week, I booked - a seat in Row E, which was the closest to the stage I could get without being right at the end of the row. I was three seats in.

I didn't think I'd been to Leicester Square Theatre before - theatres in and around Leicester Square, yes, but not this theatre specifically. Anyway, I had no trouble finding it - it turns out to be the door I've passed so many times, just beside the Prince Charles cinema. Starving, I just had time to wolf down the sandwich I had the presence of mind to buy on the way home, and made my way into town. As I approached, I realised where I'd seen the theatre name recently - there are construction works next door, and a sign on the hoarding assures passers-by that the Leicester Square Theatre is open for business. I must have passed it on my way to see Citizenfour in the Prince Charles, last Sunday week.

I'd printed out my ticket at home, which saved me queueing at the box office - there was a queue for the theatre, as it was! The theatre itself is downstairs, and I made my way straight to my seat. I was further to the side than I'd anticipated, but it didn't impede my view of the show. I was wise to book - I do believe it was a sell-out.

The show is simple, with few props and only three performers - one of whom is a very impressive Maggie. The others wear vests and a variety of accessories to represent different characters, as we are treated to a potted history of Maggie's time at the helm. Before the show, and during the interval, 80s disco music blares from the speakers - it's also used to great effect during the show.

This show is - absolutely hilarious. Really, I thought I'd enjoy it, but not this much. This is a Margaret Thatcher you don't mind applauding! He really does a good take of her (yes, it's a man in drag), and his comic timing is spot on. He's also marvellous at dealing with hecklers, of whom there were several. The main part of the story deals with her part in the passing of Section 28, which banned the promotion of homosexuality by local authorities, or the promotion in schools of homosexual lifestyles as normal. Have no fear though - this is politics lite and even if you never heard of it before, you'll be gently educated, and know all you need to by the end.

I literally laughed till my cheeks hurt, and was delighted to join in the universal standing ovation at the end. Oh, but I am glad to be back in London. Runs until Saturday - tomorrow night is sold out, but there are still tickets available for both shows on Saturday night, although both are mostly sold out. You have been warned - if you intend seeing this, move fast!

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking of a film. Top of the list is a Turkish film - Selam: Bahara Yolculuk. Unfortunately, it's only showing - typically for Turkish films - in the Odeon Lee Valley, which takes over an hour to get to from where I live. Even going to the earliest showing possible tomorrow, I wouldn't get back till after midnight. So, I don't think so - not for something I'd never even heard of before doing the list! Instead, I'll head to Life Is Sacred, part of the Human Rights Watch Film Festival showing at the Curzon Soho. It's a documentary about peace efforts in Colombia. Ironically, the London Film & Documentary Club (one of the Meetup groups) is also going - but they're charging a £1 admin fee if you go with them! so I'll go on my own, thanks v much. I'd better keep an eye on how it's booking though - these things tend to book out quickly at the last minute.

On Saturday and Sunday, I've booked a place on walks with Meetup groups. On Saturday, I've secured a free place on a Jack the Ripper walk, courtesy of "Loose End Events". Always wanted to go on one of those. And on Sunday, I'm back with Ken's Events, on a walk around Wimbledon and Putney Commons. Assuming I'm not feeling too exhausted after Saturday! It's a nuisance, though - I could normally get a Tube straight there, but because of engineering works, which are scheduled for every weekend and alternate among lines, I'll have to get not one, but two, buses! Well, we'll see how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment